PDA

View Full Version : Removed and cleaned radiator and now I have a coolant leak.

drewkeen
10-10-2007, 17:02
I can't tell where the leak is from, but is comming from the water pump/where the hose attaches to it area. I did move that hose around a little bit and had no coolant leaks before I cleaned it out. Is it likely the water pump or the hose leaking? Should I just tigheten down the hose clamp and go from there or did I probably rip my hose?

trbankii
10-10-2007, 18:51
Typically, if the hoses have been on for any amount of time when I have to mess with them I just go ahead and replace them. They get hard and have "memory" and getting them to seal again properly can end up being a major pain.

As for checking for leaks, I've picked up a pressure tester from AutoZone's "loaner tools" to check out such leaks. Basically fits on in place of the radiator cap and then pumps up like a bicycle pump to pressurize your system. Includes a gauge and you just pump it up to the proper setting based on your radiator cap pressure.

drewkeen
10-10-2007, 20:46
The hose is fairly new. I'll try the tester from autozone as my leak only happens when the engine is warm and running. It doesn't leak until it gets up to temperature if that makes a difference.

Also, is there anyway to save all the new coolant I just put in the truck? I saw the page where they drilled a hole under the drain piece, but mine has a wing broken off and IO have no idea where to get a replacement if I were to break it.