PDA

View Full Version : Labor time to R/R Longblock?

DennisG01
10-11-2007, 05:28
Anybody out there have access to Alldata (or similar)? What's the labor time to remove an engine and replace with a new one? Not the tranny, just engine (with accessories). How accurate are these labor estimates?

Pete Dow
10-11-2007, 05:37
Hi Dennis,
New subsriber here but i can give you the information you need.Mitchell on demand states a 1998 k2500 6.5 longblock installation pays 20.4 hours,that does noy include skid plates or removal of brush guards,nor does it take into account if the vehicle has a lift kit or oversize tires.hope this helped :D Pete

More Power
10-11-2007, 10:14
As I recall, GM indicates a 6.5 R&R requires just 10.5 hours. My first engine R&R took just over 31 hours.... I could do one now for about half that. Having experience, along with the right tools and equipment make a big difference.

Jim

DennisG01
10-11-2007, 11:20
So, depending on what guide we go by, install ONLY could take 10 - 20 hours?

More Power
10-11-2007, 12:05
Install only? Did someone else remove the original? If the same person is doing the install as did the removal, it shouldn't take take that long. It would take longer if the installer isn't familiar with the engine and didn't remove the original.

I recommend labeling everything (brackets, electrical harnesses & connectors, etc.) during removal if the person isn't familair with the engine, and sort all of the hardware into individual labeled containers. A series of digital images taken before disassembly can also be a big help.

Also, build or buy a portable workbench to keep your tools on during the work. Keep it close by. Tools should either be in your hand or on the bench. I've lost a lot of time just looking for tools...... :o

Jim

TAG
10-11-2007, 12:20
I would like to try to clear this misunderstanding up as i have seen this question come up a few times. The mitchell flat rate calls for 11.4 hrs to r&r engine assembly. This includes time to remove or disconnect only whats necessary to remove & replace the complete engine. It does not include transfer of any other components. Long block r&r calls for 23.1 hrs and would be applicable here. It includes transfer of the fuel & electrical assemblies, accessories, manifolds etc. The engine assembly r&r is usually used in conjunction with some other labor op that required engine removal but not replacement. Hope this clears this up once & for all.

More Power
10-11-2007, 12:46
Clear as a bell.... :rolleyes: Thanks for posting the Mitchell flat rate. However, does this mean it takes longer to transfer the engine accessories than it does to R&R the engine?

I've never come close to the flat-rate because I usually clean everything going back onto the engine, clean & detail the engine compartment, and sometimes paint things (inner fenderwells, rad support, battery trays, etc.). Plus, I usually repairs things that either look less than ideal or to head off a future problem (like wiring harnesses).

Jim

DennisG01
10-11-2007, 12:46
Install only? Did someone else remove the original?
Jim

No, the same person who removed it will be installing it. I was just trying to keep things simple as I thought my first post might have been to ambiguous.

Ditto the "losing time looking for tools"!

I would like to try to clear this misunderstanding up as i have seen this question come up a few times. The mitchell flat rate calls for 11.4 hrs to r&r engine assembly. This includes time to remove or disconnect only whats necessary to remove & replace the complete engine. It does not include transfer of any other components. Long block r&r calls for 23.1 hrs and would be applicable here. It includes transfer of the fuel & electrical assemblies, accessories, manifolds etc. The engine assembly r&r is usually used in conjunction with some other labor op that required engine removal but not replacement. Hope this clears this up once & for all.

OK, so based on your response and the others above, I could expect a total of 18 - 25 hours for the whole thing (give or take). That gives me a good idea of what to expect. Thank you, all!

TAG
10-11-2007, 18:47
In response to MP, yes it does, for me anyhow. I am like you as in everything gets cleaned & prettied up, all gasket surfaces are perfect, all systems are gone over with a fine tooth comb, always test driven at least 30 miles & recheck everything multiple times. When i am done and the bill is paid, you can drive from michigan to alaska with no worries. I guess thats why im not the wealthiest shop owner in town, but i sleep well.