PDA

View Full Version : 6.6 vin#1 vs vin#2

kirk mcdonald
10-11-2007, 10:55
Hi, I have a little engine problem, hydrolocked the engine and looking to replace my 2004 3500hd 6.6 vin #1 engine with a 6.6, 2005 vin#2 engine is this ok and a easy swap or big pain in the rear?

thanks for the help

Mark Rinker
10-11-2007, 17:40
Bummer, dude. Q: How did you hydrolock your engine?

Short answer to your question? BIG pain in the rear.

If you HAD to swap an LLY (VIN#2) in where an LB7 (VIN#1) was intended to live (...like if it was your only way out of the jungle in some adventure movie) the most trouble free route would be to swap the shortblock, re-using the LB7 heads/injectors, turbo, injection pump, etc. That would work, but require alot of wrenching, new intake and head gaskets, etc. You'd be left with a whole bunch of expensive LLY parts laying around that you paid for, but couldn't use.

Attempting an entire LLY swap (complete engine) into an LB7 would be painful, unless you love adapting different wiring harnesses together, working out the 'minor' ECM incompatibities, etc. Personally, I'd rather attempt to install Windows VISTA on my Macintosh.

A longblock swap is not possible - primarily due to due head/injector and turbo redesigns.

LB7s are readily available new and relatively inexpensive used. 5-6K isn't unusual for a low mile take-out from a wreck. Look for an '03 or '04 and search the VIN history, looking for one that had new injectors recently before it got whacked. Make sure if you have a CA truck (Federal Emissions) that you get a Federal Emissions replacement.

kirk mcdonald
10-12-2007, 08:28
Thanks for the help, They have a 2005 roll over at the auction thought this might be better than a 2004 engine. You have made it clear to me not the way to go, thanks!, thanks!, thanks! I bought this truck used in an auction expected to have to do some work, that's ok spent 5500.00 for the truck-2004 with 46,000 miles and allison trany, flatbed. I have a line on a used 2004 Vin#1 engine for 3500.00 my wholesale price with 40,000 miles.

Engine runs, but makes such a noise, bottom end. I talked to a company that races these engines??? I did not know! they say I have bent rods? He said to check the oil no water, he asked if it smokes until it warms up, I said yes, he said engine suffers from low compression, his is right on.

Looked for some used rods, no luck yet, thought I would do a bottom up rebuild? I have done this a couple of times with other V8's had a good result.

Either way still a cheap way to a great truck!

Kirk

Mark Rinker
10-12-2007, 08:41
Personally, I'd buy a low mile wreck motor that wasn't a rollover. (You don't know how long it might have run upside down.) Part out the turbo, heads, extra accessories etc. from the takeout engine.

You should be able to get it repowered for under 10K, total cost involved.