PDA

View Full Version : What engine/trans for a tow rig?

JeepSJ
10-12-2007, 01:07
So, I have my eye on my next project. It is a 1989 F350 CC Dually. Currently it has a EFI 460 with one of the crappy Ford OD automatics. It only has 70K miles and I can get it for a couple grand. It runs good and is in good shape overall. One very cool item is that it is dual fuel - gas and propane - and it has a huge propane tank in the bed (50 gal, I think). That will be nice for propane injection on the diesel.

I don't want it to stay gas powered for very long. It is never too early to start planning these things, so let's discuss engine and transmission combos. I will be using the truck to tow about 15K.

There is always the Cummins 6bt, with either a nice 6 speed manual or even an Allison. I could also go the route of finding a PStroke 7.3 and drop that in. And, I am just insane enough to drop in a DMax/Allison if I stumble across one for the right price. Right now, I'd say the Cummins is at the top of the list, just because I can do it without worrying about a bunch of electronics, but I am open to all options.

What are some other options out there? Any Detroit or Cat that would produce 600ft/lbs or so of torque, yet be small/light enough to put into that chassis?

JeepSJ
10-15-2007, 22:01
Wow. I woulda thought that this would have turned into a big discussion of this versus that versus the other versus something totally out of the ordinary but wickedly cool. At least that is what I was hoping for.

Come on everyone! If you were going to build a tow rig and could have any engine - OK, within reason - something that could fit into a 1-ton dually chassis (note - I have seen a 8bt stuffed into a F350 and it fit nicely) - what would you do?

DmaxMaverick
10-16-2007, 01:07

Got one on my list.

More Power
10-16-2007, 12:57
A 12-valve 6BT Cummins with a Bosch P7100 fuel injection pump would likely be the easiest - to get you the power you're looking for and with the fewest complications. see: www.fordcummins.com (http://www.fordcummins.com) for conversion pieces.

Jim

6.5NOVA
10-16-2007, 13:31
mmm...or an aluminum 6v-53 detroit.......

JeepSJ
10-16-2007, 22:26
A 12-valve 6BT Cummins with a Bosch P7100 fuel injection pump would likely be the easiest - to get you the power you're looking for and with the fewest complications. see: www.fordcummins.com (http://www.fordcummins.com) for conversion pieces.

Jim

That is on the top of the list right now. The 3208 would be cool, but at 2000lbs that might be a little heavy.

I wonder if anyone has tried to strip the electronics off a 24v 6bt and run it with a P7100 pump...

gophergunner
10-17-2007, 09:05
my vote is for the 6V-53......you can fit those in pickup trucks even with twin turbo setup on them. Aluminum would be desireable, but the truck should handle the cast iron version as well.

N/A 6V-53, 216 hp @ 2800 rpm.......1485 lbs. Those are the specs i got

and lets be honest, you can't beat that sound either:rolleyes:

PerfectReign
10-17-2007, 09:25
From what I've read, your 12v Cummins 6BT will be the easiest swap and allow for the most "bang for the buck." Though a DMAX or even a Powerstroke will run quieter, they would both need much more electronics. In addition, I doubt you'd be able to bump up the HP/Torque without spending a ton of $$$.

I noticed you have a Jeep. One of my future projects will be to get my son (now five years old) an older CJ or Wrangler and drop in either a 6BT (if it fits) or more likely a 3.9L 4BT. That should be a fun project! :D

<edit>

Not to steal the thread, I remember reading about a Cummins Jeep swap some time back...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0610dp_1993_jeep_wrangler_diesel/index.html

JeepSJ
10-17-2007, 19:22
my vote is for the 6V-53......you can fit those in pickup trucks even with twin turbo setup on them. Aluminum would be desireable, but the truck should handle the cast iron version as well.

N/A 6V-53, 216 hp @ 2800 rpm.......1485 lbs. Those are the specs i got

and lets be honest, you can't beat that sound either:rolleyes:

Hmmm....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Detroit-Diesel-engine-6V53-with-recent-rebuild-trans_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ013QQit emZ230107395004QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

JeepSJ
10-17-2007, 19:24
From what I've read, your 12v Cummins 6BT will be the easiest swap and allow for the most "bang for the buck." Though a DMAX or even a Powerstroke will run quieter, they would both need much more electronics. In addition, I doubt you'd be able to bump up the HP/Torque without spending a ton of $$$.

I noticed you have a Jeep. One of my future projects will be to get my son (now five years old) an older CJ or Wrangler and drop in either a 6BT (if it fits) or more likely a 3.9L 4BT. That should be a fun project! :D

<edit>

Not to steal the thread, I remember reading about a Cummins Jeep swap some time back...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0610dp_1993_jeep_wrangler_diesel/index.html

Forget the 6bt into one of those. The 4bt or a 6.5 would be great. I am seriously considering a 6.5 swap into my CJ5 - it already has a SBC so the 6.5 would drop right in...

mhagie
10-18-2007, 17:51
Your call, but the 7.3 was a very good engine and it bolts in.
anything else is a pile of work and not that much better than the 7.3,to me its the best bang for the buck, maybe not as cool as a fancy conversion but every bit as dependable

Merle

markelectric
10-18-2007, 18:34
A 12 valve with a 6 speed manual is probably the most reliable towing combo you can put in. You could get that home in a less than perfect shape with a bit of easy to do wrenching.

JeepSJ
10-19-2007, 10:48
Your call, but the 7.3 was a very good engine and it bolts in.
anything else is a pile of work and not that much better than the 7.3,to me its the best bang for the buck, maybe not as cool as a fancy conversion but every bit as dependable

Merle

It isn't about the amount of work, it is about building something that will surpass the capabilities of anything that the factory built. That was what the DieselWag was all about.

That being said, if a 7.3 were to land on my doorstep it would most certainly end up under the hood.

I still like the idea of marrying a P7100 pump and a 24v head. With one of the BD dual turbo setups. Oh yeah!

JeepSJ
11-11-2007, 20:02
So, what about a transmission?

Auto or Manual?

journeyman
12-08-2007, 21:59
Towing 15K, I would consider the transmission FIRST, the engine second. I have a good bit of experience with motorhomes towing and transmission (failures). We have up to 28K gross combined and push them pretty hard.

I do not have much experience with manuals, but it seems they are the simplest and maybe most reliable set up. We have a '77 F350 with a 6-354 Perkins and T34 fuller manual. No transmission issues.

For a/t, I would recommend Allison. We have run the 4L80e, but it takes a lot of mods and cooling to do heavy towing. I have no experience with the Ford nor the Dodge A/T, but have not heard a lot of good things about them. Allison is a good, reliable way to go if you are going A/T.

From there, you can look at engine choices that bolt up to the transmission you choose.

kruisecontrol
12-20-2007, 23:38
i dont have much experience towing very heavy , im doing a conversion i always tow around 10000 what kinda mods are you talking about in the 4l80e , so i can do some before i put it in