PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel removal

Kenneth
10-12-2007, 07:29
Okay I have an original snorkel in a 94. I tried to take it out yesterday and can't seem to pull it through the hole in the fender. Is this how it is supposed to be taken out or are you supposed to take off the inner wheel well and drop the snorkel out that way? Any ideas? I don't want to take off the inner fender unless I have too.

john8662
10-12-2007, 07:38
Did you remove the retaining screw that's slightly hidden behind the passenger's side battery?

J

Kenneth
10-12-2007, 08:27
yeah, i even loosed the battery hold-down and slid the battery to the side for more room to get the screw out. The snorkel started to come out but only made it about 4" and then it wouldn't move any more.

94 at Large
10-12-2007, 08:50
Had a heck of a time getting mine out. Ended up pretty mangled once I pulled it thru. If you have removed the airbox and the plastic piece (IIRC) that connects the box to the fender(and the little screw mentioned above), so that you are working with just a hole in the fender, it will come out, eventually. Works better when things are a bit warm so that the snorkel is more flexible.

Kenneth
10-12-2007, 09:05
Sorry, I am still learning the "lingo" here. What is "IIRC" i have read it here a lot. Also, that "plastic piece" are you referring to the push tab that holds the snorkel to the fender?

daustin
10-12-2007, 09:14
The snorkle is kinda flexible, mine took some pulling and tugging but came out when i yanked hard enough. The plastic part is what connects the airbox to the fender - kinda round flange like thing. Pop it off if you haven't, pull the snorkle the reinstall the flange.
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly.
Don

Kenneth
10-12-2007, 09:16
Thanks guys. That helps out a lot. I guess I just have to pull harder, and wait to do it when my motor is hot, so it is more flexible.

Also, wouldn't it be wise to leave the flange out so the air box can pull air from both the fender and the engine compartment? I know the engine compartment is hot air, but the more air you have available, the better.

daustin
10-12-2007, 09:23
I would put it back, the cooler the air the better. Turbo will heat it up unless your intercooled.
Don