PDA

View Full Version : AC Delco 60G GP's = 445, 0 100 271 107 10.5v

Hubert
10-12-2007, 12:42
Ok my truck has been starting slow and with a big puff of white smoke. Today it did not want to start at all. Tried the drivers side front glow plug and its dead reads open but it looks ok. A little wet from trying to start so I figure thats it bad glow plugs (I think I stressed them over torqued when I put them in last fall I mistakenly set torque wrench to 25 ft lbs instead of 12 ft lbs).

So I went to Chevrolet dealer to get some new glow plugs and wanted the AC 60G's because those are suppose to be the "tougher" ones that don't swell and you can extend glow time. But may heat slower than my 97's OE plugs.

The 8count box says 8#60G 12563554
individual box says 60G and upc 0 21625147192

On the plug itself below threads it reads
AC Delco 445
0 100 271 107 10.5V

Are these the preferred glow plugs. I would have thought 60G would have been on the plugs too.

Note a local Stanadyne shop had some made by Lucas (he said same as Delphi) but I querried lucas and saw where Jim had tested some and the Lucas had some tip swelling.

More Power
10-12-2007, 14:14
Most glow plugs made today are the PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) type, which are thermally self-regulating. However, there could be some other brands that aren't, and could burn out/swell when they are powered for longer than 15-20 seconds. The only way to know is to test them. We've tested the AC-60G for 15 minutes of continuous glow, and a member in Alberta tested one for 8 hours continuous glow time without a failure.

Yes, it appears you got the right plugs. We didn't notice any difference in startability when swapping the AC-9G glow plugs our 1994 6.5 came with from the factory with new AC-60G plugs.

Jim

Hubert
10-12-2007, 17:56
Thanks.
My reciept reads qty (8) part no. 12563554 109G Glow Plug. I told the parts person I had a 97 K2500 6.5 (F). Then asked if they were 60G's and they said yes but you know how it is I wasn't sure????

I had replaced OE GP's with some Wellman's. They burnt out? in less than a year. I am guessing due to overtorque stress? I double checked and my helm manual says 16 lbft torque and thats what I did this time.

I finally finished turbo side. My down pipe had worked loose and it was a bear to get V clamp back on. (I knew it sounded like a leak but wasn't bad enough to investigate.) Had a few little other snags should have only taken hour and half. I wish I could have double nutted the V ban nut because I think it vibrated loose. Had to borrow the wife's nail polish to help locktite the nut.

Anyway the truck starts right up like a champ. Smoke is darker now and just a small puff like it should be.