PDA

View Full Version : Home Made FSD

Stratosurfer
10-13-2007, 05:36
All,
After much soul searching post multiple PMD/FSD failures a thought occurred to me as I stared at the last one I pulled from the cooler. Should it not be considered to make a 'breadbox board' version of this unit? If Stanadyne still has patents they have to be running out shortly. -Clearly this was very poorly designed and GM has abandoned the 6.5 for the retail passenger market so in effect we are left hanging until someone builds an FSD that is truly bullet-proof.
I know this has been discussed before with no one willing to tackle the electronic engineering to reverse engineer this unit: as an admitted layman, truly this device cannot be that complex. My neighbor is a retired electronics engineer and I'm going to give him my latest fried one and see what he says about reverse engineering it to possibly a set of plans for a Radio Shack breadbox version.
Necessity is the mother of invention...

DA BIG ONE
10-13-2007, 05:49
Many years now since I've had a failure "pump mounted unit", and 1 false failure back in late 2006. The unit I felt was bad was from Heath he exchanged it for new one he then tested unit I had returned found it to be good Bill called me and said I was looking at a new IP in near future, he was right.

What had happened was I switched to one of my remotes FSD w/#9 resistor when stalling started and because of the extra fuel it masked the problem and allowed my truck to run for some time until I could change out IP.

Outside engine compartment and in airflow is only way to go IMHO.......................

More Power
10-13-2007, 12:12
What had happened was I switched to one of my remotes FSD w/#9 resistor when stalling started and because of the extra fuel it masked the problem and allowed my truck to run for some time until I could change out IP.

I'm curious to know what might have been wrong with the DS. What were the symtoms when the DS finally failed?

Regarding a re-engineered driver module, there are now two of them on the market. The first was the SOL-D, out of Ontario, Canada, which produced cold starting problems below 30 degrees F. The newest is the D-Tech, which is new enough that we don't have a lot of longterm reliability information about. Kennedy is a retailer for this newest module. Everyone is in a wait & see mode, but I guess we'll know more in time. I do agree that a re-design would be the final solution if it can be done.

Jim