PDA

View Full Version : Decifer Codes? Engine light on, no rpm/power

movemyrv
10-13-2007, 09:50
At the end of a 500 mile trip yesterday, towing a 7K lb trailer, the ehgine light came on and I have no power, can't push the throttle past maybe 1/3 or it stumbles and slows down. I limped home at 50 on the highway, 25 while going up hill.

I am sure this has been asked before, can I get the truck to tell me the code? I have done it with earlier GMs with either the paper clip in the plug or turning the key off and on.

Does anyone know if i can home read the codes?

I need to be making deliveries all weekend, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

jbplock
10-13-2007, 15:38
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your problem .. the paper clip method is for the older on board diagnostic systems ... To the read the code on your truck you need an OBD-II scanner... Autozone will read & reset codes for no charge.. ... when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Duramaster
10-13-2007, 17:41
I second that! The fuel andair filters are always forgotten!

movemyrv
10-13-2007, 18:18
jbplock and DURAMASTER,
Thank you both. The dealer has done all of that type of maintenance (package that came with the truck for limited time). I am only at 52K miles total, but I will have to check the slips to see exactly when.

Unfortunately, the boys at GM came in and bought the dealership and closed it this summer (no word on why) so I have to call the local KIA dealer where the records went to, if I have any more questions!

I did contact a local mechanic who will put me on his diagnostics machine (OBD, etc) sunday evening. You just gotta love the local guy for down home service!

Thanks again,
Mike

rob from bc canada
10-16-2007, 20:04
Sorry, a bit late - methinks maybe injector connectors

Try unplugging and replugging the #2 (driver front) and #7 (Pass rear) connector from the injector harness.

You have to press down on a little retainer clip, and they should pull off easy.

If that is the problem, most likely it will start back up and run like new, but it will often recurr soon after.

If so, replacement should be covered under engine warranty.