PDA

View Full Version : What items should we watch out for before buying this 98 6.5 3/4 burban?

BlueSky94
12-19-2004, 19:48
I am getting ready pick up a 98 3/4 ton LT subburban with the 6.5 td. Truck has 120 miles and appears in excellent shape and has been maintained by the local dealer.

What are the trouble spots that I should watch out for? I notice a little oil around the turbo and from what looks like to the the oil filter (drips onto the front differential).

The only issue I know of with the 6.5 is the FSD. Please advise as to other know problems or items that I should look at. The is a pretty sizeable purchase for our family and we really don't wont to be burned.

Thanks in advance to all who can and will offer their expertise ad advise.

99gmccrew
12-19-2004, 20:19
If it was me I would check the vehicle history from the gm service dept. I would really like to know if the Injection Pump has ever been replaced.
The vehicle is right at the cut off point for the 120,000 mile warranty on the IP. Find out if the vehicle was used for any heavy towing, and if so, have the trans checked out. There is more to know about on the 1998 blocks perhaps one of the experts will kick in a response. I've got a '99 GMC C3500 and I absolutely love it. But do your homework and you should have no regrets.

cruzer
12-20-2004, 08:42
Oil filter drips? Make sure it's not the Oil cooler lines. They have a tendency to leak or blow off the blk.

DennisG01
12-20-2004, 11:18
If that oil drip is like mine (which it sounds like it is) it is probably coming from the oil cooler line fittings (like Cruzer stated) that are a little higher up on the block on the left side. It's about a $400 dollar bill to fix it (parts and labor).

EscaladeDiesel
12-20-2004, 19:38
I had a similar leak and it was a simple gasket the goes onto the filter. It was a dealer part, not expensive.

charliepeterson
12-21-2004, 19:23
Yes, the gasket on the oil filter housing is simple. It's actually three "O" rings and will come in a kit. It is a dealer item.

Basshopper
12-21-2004, 22:46
Take a test drive get the motor warm pull over and pull the dip stick and make sure there is no steam pouring out. Would determine any cracks in the block. I learned this the hard way at 123k miles. Time for a new motor. Now have 180k on the burb. Great truck just the same.

schamp
12-24-2004, 04:57
I would want to have 4 wheel disk brakes. I am not sure if it was standard on a 98 but was an option on earlier models. The brakes on these things are in a word crap. I have a 97 2500 and a 96 1500 (gas) each over 200k. Expect some issues to come up such as: brakes, alternator (when it goes get one with a lifetime warranty cause you are going to use it. You can change a alt in about 20 min.) injection pump. At your milage will be looking at vaccume pump, a/c compressor, idler arm, pitman arm, injectors and glow plugs soon. But you can expect some of that on any truck with that milage. Don't get me wrong I love mine, just bought a 03 Yukon XL Denali for the wife, just wish it had a diesel in it. Good Luck. Spencer