PDA

View Full Version : Taking The Big Plunge

doncannon
10-16-2007, 12:55
Hello All,
Well After Working On The 6.2 Diesel For The Last Few Years My Wife And I Are Considering Buying A '07 Duramax With The 6-speed Auto/man. How Are These Trucks Holding Up? Thank You In Advance,
Don Cannon

DarylB
10-16-2007, 13:53
I can't speak for the new LMM/New Bodystyle trucks with the DPF, but the LBZ (2006/2007 Classic) is a real refinement IMO. I had an 02 LB7 for 5.5 years and loved it, but this newer engine is quieter, and the new transmission programming shifts a ton better IMO. Don't know how we ever did w/o that 6th gear. My only gripe is the damned EGR system & catalytic converter, other than that, Definitely a thumbs up. 16-20mpg out of a 7000# + truck is very sweet. 5500 miles and counting.

mark45678
10-16-2007, 14:10
Its a much more refined truck then your used to driving , power , power , power ! Way more then we need , and a Live EFI tune can make it even nicer !

I am on my third duramax truck and my 5th gm diesel , If you do all your own work you may have to farm out anything other then PM work.... These trucks are very complicated and require a scan tool to check anything . If your in the market for a used truck the 2004.5 and newer LLY , LBZ or LLM trucks is what I would look for. The early trucks have nice things that have been taken out of the newer trucks but in My opinion the new trucks start , run and shift so much better its worth not having a under hood light or glove box light or make up mirrows with lights.

Dakster
10-16-2007, 17:40
Love my NBS 2007 LMM (see sig). No problems, hasn't seen the dealer since I picked it up. I only have 4400 miles, 2500 or so was from a trip. I changed the oil and rear diff. fluid myself. It has great power and "good for a large truck" fuel mileage. In the city I am at 11.5-12 (nasty traffic though) on Florida Highways 14. On my trip I was getting 16-17 (long constant speed driving).

As far as interior, the chevy trucks keep getting better year after year. (I know you aren't looking at another brand, but I think our interiors are the best of the three)

BTW, I know that this isn't much, but my previous TWO Ford 6.Ohhs had already been in and out of the dealership NUMEROUS times and once I was leaving on a trip and it died a whole 100 feet from my driveway. GM isn't perfect either, this is a replacement for my 2007 Suburban which had problems the second week and within 200 miles.

My experience has been if the vehicle stays of out the dealership in the first few months and 10k miles, it will end up being a great vehicle for me.

Just my 2 cents.

D_R_C
10-16-2007, 18:08
I as well dumped a 03 6.0 Ford F250,loved the interior and the space to store stuff behind the rear seat.
My new GMC does not have any place to put anything behind the rear seat,which I do miss but not the 6.0 engine problem child.
The only thing that bugs me is the regin process about every tank fill up for about 20-30 miles.
And GM eliminating the helper spring on the 3500`s SRW,I went with a 1 ton for that reason and did not get it.
Which Ford and Dodge uses a helper spring on the rear on the 3/4 and 1 ton SRW.
I had to install Firestone air bags on the rear,but also enjoying my new ride.

NutNbutGMC
10-16-2007, 19:43
I am partial to the Classic body style. I found a 2007 on a lot with most of my expectations. The LBZ engine is much improved over the LB7 that I traded.

The one I acquired is doing well for me.

Mark Rinker
10-17-2007, 07:18
Personally, I'd buy an LBZ and let the LMM get a few years on it first with the new emmissons equipment.

Either way, you'll be amazed at the power, quiet operating and mileage these trucks get.

doncannon
10-17-2007, 10:42
Hello All,
Thanks for the great responses!!! Well we went to look at a 05 duramax and beside it was a Dodge. The Dodge had a 6 speed manual the Duramax has an automatic and short bed. The Dodge has 4 doors like the duramax but also offers duall wheels. Well let me tell you guys that Dodge I said I would NEVER BUY. I am queitly considering since GM does not offer a Manual trans (I know they make that paddle shift). Call me old school but I like to shift. Anyhow Dodge now has went from the 5.9 - 6.7 six cylinder and it has gobbs of torque that you seem to feel more than the auto in the Duramax. In fifth and six gear you can really bog them down (no trailer on a test drive...but they should).
Thank you guys again,
Don Cannon

Dakster
10-17-2007, 18:18
Either way. Dodge or GM. At least you are buying one of the big three. I thought for a minute I was going to hear the word "Toyota" in your post...

As a note: I have the 3500 SRW and although I have not had a load that would take advantage of the "helper" rear leaf spring I was a little disappointed there wasn't one as well. I'm over it now. And yeah the Ford may have more of a rough and tough type interior, but they do have more space for your stuff. I personally like the "plush" interior of the chevy's better. There has to be more room in the 2007.5's becuase I couldn't fit the kids car seats in the older model crew cabs and I can in this one.

I have to have the Mega Cab in the dodges to fit the car seats behind me comfortably. The four door extended cab that dodge calls a crew cab just doesn't cut it.