PDA

View Full Version : Van no start

6.5 Detroit Diesel
10-16-2007, 16:47
Okay, so the problem is with a 97' 6.5TD Chev Passenger van. We have just reassambled the engine after having to pull the heads due to a broken valve that took out a piston. We got it all together and tried to start it. It took quite a while to get the fuel to the injectors because the OPS was shot and we didn't know the lift pump was not engaging. So the OPS was bypassed. My friend was trying to start the van while I was gone and got the wires hot enough that a battery cable melted. :eek: Rewiring followed and at this point a starter was put it. The van cranked a little after that and then all power was lost. No dash power, interior lights, nothing. A reading at the starter showed a good 12 volts until the key was turned to run. At that point it dropped to 3 volts. We figure there has to be a major power drain somewhere. If the glow plug relay is disconnected, we have lights but still can't get the starter to crank. Starter grounds have been checked and are good. Using a multimeter we have checked every fusible link we can find. So far we can't find the short. Is there any chance that the theft lock has been enabled and that is why we can't get it to start?? We need the van for a trip to the mountains in two days so the last few days have been long late nights trying to figure out this stupid thing. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. ;)

rameye
10-16-2007, 17:27
Take apart all your battery connections again!!! clean and tighten..

12 volts with no load applied is easy...when pulling a load a big drop could indicate a bad/burnt connection..

R/o starter meltdown after that then r/o solenoid contacts cooked...

6.5 Detroit Diesel
10-16-2007, 17:54
Sorry, just not sure what R/O stands for.

clubsmoker
10-16-2007, 18:07
i think it means rule out