PDA

View Full Version : 2007.5 Lmm

bamabadboy
10-16-2007, 17:57
Picked up my new DMAX yesterday. If I thought my 2005 ext cab was big, this one is huge. Got to get used to the raised hood. This truck is a beauty throughout. What's with the tailpipe horn? Are there any replacements out there to dress it up? I used to change the fuel filter on the 2005 myself. It was a tight fit, but I could do it from above. The new model looks like it has to come out from below. Anyone do this yet? Also, are the fuel filters on the 2005 and 2007 the same?

Mark Rinker
10-17-2007, 07:24
(Moderator - please move this post to the Duramax forum...)

Sounds like a nice truck. Let us know your initial reactions in the Duramax forum - there aren't that many LMM owners here yet!

That new hood and the chrome bumper corners take awhile to soak in - but I am starting to like them.

cowboywildbill
10-17-2007, 10:14
Congrats on your new truck. There is a company called Gibson that makes a replacement tail pipe tip. You have to cut off or remove the bell tip and the Gibson slides on and tightens up with it's own built in clamp.
If my memory serves me correctly it still allows the free air space in it's design, like the factory tip. I saw the tip on an LMM on our local dealers lot. It was on a 08 2500 that had been customized.
I bought the same tip for our LBZ from a customizer in Hagerstown, Md. The LMM pipe and tip is larger in diameter than the LBZ exhaust pipe. I put two stainless radiator hose clamps on the factory LBZ pipe and slid the stainless Gibson tip over them and tightened it down. It worked perfect. The clamps spaced it out perfectly. One in front of the other about 2" apart will keep it even. I didn't like the turn down tips for the LBZ so I improvised with the straight look of the Gibson. It looks good. But it was $$$. Try to find one online, it may be cheaper there. I think the customizer had a good markup.

Duramaster
10-17-2007, 12:30
I agree with you Mark. I like the GMC front bumper much better than the Chevrolet. The Chevy is too "IN YOU FACE" ugly. Hopefully they (GM) refine it a little. :)

Mark Rinker
10-17-2007, 13:04
Can you post a picture of the new custom tip that replaces the "trumpet" ?

What is the purpose for that design from the factory?

More Power
10-17-2007, 16:47
Can you post a picture of the new custom tip that replaces the "trumpet" ?

What is the purpose for that design from the factory?

The design of the air mixing tip helps to reduce temperature during DPF regeneration. As I recall, exhaust temperature could be 1000+ at the tip. :rolleyes:

Jim

Dakster
10-17-2007, 18:09
Congrats on the new truck. The "horn" will grow on you too and won't be that annoying after awhile. I do wish that GM had chromed it on the LTZ to match all of the other bright work...

I haven't changed my fuel filter yet, but I will have to remove the liner to get to it. I can't even begin to reach it from above on the 3500 4x4.

I don't want to touch that much until they are "proven" and/or I am out of warranty and this truck continues to be as good to me as it has been for the past 5 months and 4400 miles.

cowboywildbill
10-19-2007, 17:20
I'll try to post a picture for you. If I can't get it to post I'll email it to you. The after market tip still lets the air circulate around from the front vents like the factory one. It still maintains that DPF cooling tip ability. It just doesn't bell out, it is the larger diameter from front to rear. So it just looks like a 5" exhaust tip.