PDA

View Full Version : How cold has it been and still started for you?

Uncle Wally
12-19-2004, 22:30
Hey guys,

Thought I was hosed last night. The tensioner pulley bearing gave out the night before and shucked the belt. I caught it before it got rediculously hot (but time will tell if something cracked). To make a long one short, I fixed it when I got to work. The temp dropped through the floor while I was working. I figured it wouldn't start at -10 F and not having it plugged in. Much to my amazement, one cycle of the glows and it popped right off. I just about messed my pants when that happened!

So here's the question: From experience, how cold has it been and still getting it to start without being plugged in?

AndyL
12-20-2004, 02:40
-15F, slow cranking with dual new 1000CCA batteries, started no problem in 1 or 2 revolutions. A tad choppy for a couple seconds then leveled out.

I am satisified it would start into the -20 or -30s.

ulhpilot
12-20-2004, 05:02
I went back home to northern Ohio one winter when it was at a low of about -22F. I was at a hotel, so no plug in. Added an extra dose of PF, truck fired up after a few slow cranks. Blew black smoke out while the plugs cycled for about a minute and then it smoothed out.

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 05:42
-25 F...one cyle of the glow plugs. ;)

eracers999
12-20-2004, 06:21
The real difference would then be how long it sat out there in the temps. 8 hrs at work 9 10 yea it will go no matter how cold cause it still has a core temp. Give it 18 to 24 hrs in a driving wind at minus 25 and its a different ball game.

BUZZ
12-20-2004, 08:33
Looking at the profiles no one is running DSG direct drive timing gears? Is everyone still running the original timing gears and chain?
Thanks
Buzz still trying to sort out poor cold start issues.

Marty Lau
12-20-2004, 08:45
I had mine sitting for about 48 hours and it was
-25 cycle glow plugs 3 times and she start rough and white smoke let it sit and idel for about 10 minutes and drove away.

gvt
12-20-2004, 09:17
Roughly -25F buried in a snowbank in the middle of Mille Lacs Lake. At the time I was running 10W-30 Rotella. It sounded pretty ugly for a few minutes.

I am now running Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic. The truck sits outside everyday, all day, while I am at work and it always starts, no problem. It is much quieter after a "cold" start with the synthetic oil.

markrinker
12-20-2004, 09:42
I've never tried a cold start below 0. Doubt that they would go, based on experiences off the block heater at 5-10 degrees above. I like having things warm in advance.

Kidd
12-20-2004, 10:12
Mine started at -40 one very cold January night.
Wasn't plugged in, truck had sat for 3 days.
One cycle of glow plugs and it was running, just about blew my brother in law's mind. He has a new PS diesel and it wouldn't go after only a 8
hour shutdown. :D :D

Had the 0W-40 synthetic oil in it, and the diesel fuel in this area is Arctic grade in the winter. Your fuel makes a lot of difference to a cold weather start.

This is not unusual, I know of quite a few 6.5 trucks that sit all day in very cold weather and start without benefit of a plug in.

K.D.

jspringator
12-20-2004, 14:46
I was mighty proud of my 16 degrees until I read all these posts!

eracers999
12-20-2004, 15:14
Wonder what the lowest temp start for a 18:1 motor is. I know the loose timing chain in mine is causing me cold start problems. At 5 deg is enough to raise your eyebrows on mine.
Kent

Jim P
12-20-2004, 15:24
This morning it was 2 degrees and I forgot to plug my truck in. It had not been started since saturday and was outside. I have the 18:1 compression. My batteries are about at the end of there useful life. I have a manual glow plug button so I gave it an extra 20 seconds of glow time after the light went out and hit the starter. It just barely turned over and hit on the second revolution. I don't think the batteries would have had enough to power to make another revolution.

duluthsvo
12-20-2004, 18:56
I've got a new 21:1 motor with some mods you asked about. Namely the DSG gear drive. To date with the first oil change being due, (with 15W-40 Rotella) the coldest has been -18 F after a full day unplugged. Very smooth and quick starting. The gear drive and the injectors have made a huge difference in the "seat of the pants" and are begging for the Heath updates and my intercooler. Maybe the computer/wastegate should be an early xmas gift to myself.

damork
12-21-2004, 12:18
Coldest was -10F after a 15 hour overnite soak, 176,000 original miles with 100,000 miles on injectors/plugs. Popped right off with some smoke, no heater. Credit goes to the DSG gears, 5w-40 Mobil Synthetic, good fuel and batteries.

[ 12-22-2004, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: damork ]

Tough Guy
12-21-2004, 19:04
I was in Butte MT (5000ft) last winter for Christmas and it was -4F I have 18:1 pistons and gear drive. It started without a problem but ran a little rough for a minute or two This was with the truck sitting overnight and the engine had over 100,000 miles on it at the time...

Cheers,

The "Boy" TG ;)

whatnot
12-21-2004, 21:14
Originally posted by duluthsvo:
I've got a new 21:1 motor with some mods you asked about. Namely the DSG gear drive. To date with the first oil change being due, (with 15W-40 Rotella) the coldest has been -18 F after a full day unplugged. Very smooth and quick starting. The gear drive and the injectors have made a huge difference in the "seat of the pants" and are begging for the Heath updates and my intercooler. Maybe the computer/wastegate should be an early xmas gift to myself. You are using 15W40 oil and starting it without plugging it in at -18

Gapper_ca
12-22-2004, 07:36
Coldest start was -38C not pluged in, wind chill put it at -45 or more, started but was rough for a little bit. hated to do it but had to, usually plugged in for 3 to 4 hrs starts great then.

RT
12-22-2004, 16:00
I was able to start at -10* last winter after 24hrs cold soak. 200+k at the time with original IP and starter. I credit this to the two Optima reds and synthetic Delo 5w-40. Runs rough for 5 seconds or so and rattles pretty good but it starts. Prefer to use the block heater though. RT

arrowheadracing
01-06-2005, 18:31
Boy I thought the temps wouldnt be so low. But the other day ( my first diesel ) I forgot to plug in. Temps where 12 windchill was -32. Hell no it wasnt going to start. I tried and tried, after about 20 mins of trying it finally came to life. Sounded like all hell was falling apart. Lesson learned, plug in when cold. Next day plugged in, roughly same temp , no problem starting. All on original glow plugs I might add ( yes they are being replaced come spring ).

Todd

fastcat800
04-01-2005, 10:13
I just found this post doing a search on synthetic oil. Before I changed to synthetic I ran 5W-20 oil for about a week to flush the engine before changing to synthetic while waiting for my Amsoil order. I was trying out the truck before I bought it and it was perfect timing as it was very cold and I wanted to see if it would start. It sat for 2 days and was -18 over night. The block heater plug was burried back by the radiator and I had not found it yet so I had never pluged it in. It hadn't been used in years as the truck was in Arizona. To my amazement it started on the first glow plug cycle. It ran like crap for the first 30 seconds but it keep running. After changing to 5W-40 Amsoil it turns over much faster in cold weather so as long as I have good fuel it should start at colder temps than -18. It convinced me, I bought the truck.

garre1tt
04-01-2005, 10:38
I get caught, at least once a year where my diesel will not start due to the cold. Has never been the engine's fault just mine for buying cheap #2 Winter diesel. When it says only good to -20 it means at -21 it will not pour. I just have to wait till it warms up, then it starts and I top it off with #1 diesel.

Marty Lau
04-04-2005, 09:52
Originally posted by Michael D.:
I get caught, at least once a year where my diesel will not start due to the cold. Has never been the engine's fault just mine for buying cheap #2 Winter diesel. When it says only good to -20 it means at -21 it will not pour. I just have to wait till it warms up, then it starts and I top it off with #1 diesel. Michael;
Try adding Power Service in the White bottle, I have never had a problem with winter #2 and have been caught a few times with it down to -25.

[ 04-04-2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: 16ga SxS ]