PDA

View Full Version : 93 6.5 Crankshaft

93GMCSierra
10-17-2007, 19:24
My truck was running great, I was on my way home from a family visit, I drove 300 miles then all of a sudden I lost power, an it started making some noise. I pulled over an pushed in the clutch an it died, I later had my wife hit the key an watched the crank pulley bouncing around, Think the crank broke, any idea where to get better then stock one?

jpgreen
10-17-2007, 21:16
That will make for a bad day for sure. How many miles was on your engine?

1999GMC
10-17-2007, 21:23
Sorry to hear that. SCAT makes a new crank for them that is supposedly stronger. Are you sure the crank is broke or is it just the front pulley or balancer broken and bouncing? I don't think just a broken balancer would make it de though.

93GMCSierra
10-17-2007, 23:18
Until I get some money together and then pull the engine out I don't know exactly what happened, but I don't think its the balancer, just by looking.
220,122 is what is on the odometer I recently put in a rebuilt injection pump it was running very well with lots more power, probably why the crank broke I am thinking.

jpgreen
10-18-2007, 08:33
I just bought a 95 K2500 with 191k on the dial. I need to tow a skid steer that weighs 7500 pounds with it and hope to at least be able to pick up the unit and bring it home after upgrading the cooling system and other fixes on the truck, without having to drop ina new engine.

At least it's got 4" exhaust and seems to be in real good condition. Don't know the history.

93GMCSierra
10-18-2007, 10:23
Too much, I bought the truck last year, 8/06, I run it hard I never had any real problems with it though till I was washing the engine, I needed to replace the CDR only I have never had a diesel before an had not found this site, I had oil spray on my engine I took it into a car wash an sprayed it off, since that point my injection pump head an rotor was messed up.
Then, again from lack of experience with diesels, I had a a plugged up fuel filter and it was causing intermittent power issue's I pulled my brothers 99 dodge 1 ton with the cumins and started to over heat I blew out my head gasket, I replaced both head gaskets an on my drive home I seem to have broke the crank.
While this string of bad luck sucks, I also know that it is alot of inexperience that caused it.
Oh and I bought this for $3000 I know I got it for a pretty good price, unfortunately I know its going to cost me alot more now.

jpgreen
10-27-2007, 11:20
I buying the Fluidampur Damper and hopefully that will help keep my old shaft in one piece for awhile.

hamold1
10-28-2007, 04:12
From what i've heard and read, the stock cranks are fine in these engines. It's the block cracking and the balancers coming apart that take the cranks out. I'm getting ready to rebuild one with a stock polished crank. Hope what i've been reading is right.

Chris
2 1993 GMC k2500 4l80e