PDA

View Full Version : Running too cold

JeepSJ
10-19-2007, 10:58
Now that the hot weather is gone, the Waggy is running at about 180*(verified on both the stock and aftermarket gauges). I have 195 tstats in it. I do notice that the upper rad hose starts to warm up within a few minutes of startup. On one of my road trips when I was coming down a long grade, the temp got as low as 160. I would really like to see the temps up around 195 all the time. On the 110* days it ran at 190-195.

Do the factory tstats (on a dual tstat setup) allow a small amount of coolant to bypass all the time, or do I just have a bad tstat?

Thanks!

Mark

Kenneth
10-19-2007, 11:34
Last winter I was in rexburg, ID. My 94 (single stat) was alsways running at 160-170 when warm. After having the stat intermittenly working and blowing a radiator hose I replaced the thermostat and immediately my water temp was constantly at 190. Even in the cold weather i could watch the stat open and close on the temp guage. My temp would warm up and then the stat would open and the temp would drop. I would guess at a or maybe both bad stats.

DA BIG ONE
10-19-2007, 12:28
Going down hill will cause cooling because air is rushing through radiator and engine is a very low rpms = lower flow at water pump resulting in guick cool down.

HammerWerf
10-19-2007, 14:09
I haven'l looked that closely at the 330-Stat (dual Tstats), but I know that on the 370's (Old single stat) there is a small opening to allow gas and fluid to pass by.

Coasting down hill put the engine in a minimum fuel condition. With the DS4, it actually shuts off the flow. I've watched the temp guage go back down toward 160*F on summer days on long enough hills. DB2's sort go to idle.

HammerWerf

Warren96
10-22-2007, 08:50
In the summer months I use the dual spring stats which provides max cooling. But since I do NO towing the single spring stats go in in the fall. That gives me the factory stat when I need it most in the summer. No matter how many dual spring stats I buy, I cant find one that will open at 195, always lower like 150 to 170. When the dual spring jobs go bad they have been known to leak warm coolant.

JeepSJ
10-22-2007, 11:15
Well, part of the mystery solved. The stats were from Mr Gasket, so I contacted their tech support. They said they had a bad batch of stats and suggested that I replace them. I'll be installing my heater soon so I'll be draining the system - seems to be a good time to change them.