PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 stalls after 10min then starts after 5

gord finlayson
10-22-2007, 05:53
truck starts well. runs then dies after about 10 minutes. then won't start for about 5 minutes than all good? 1995 6.5 k2500 no turbo

Robyn
10-22-2007, 06:52
First off, welcome to TDP
Glad to have you :D

Any Codes showing? (SES light)

My first thought is the PMD

Robyn

gord finlayson
10-22-2007, 07:08
when this first started i cleared all codes. i just checked at 32 / 33 / 35 / 41
are the codes in the system. also, after clearing codes the MIL light came on as it stalled but i did not check at that time.

Robyn
10-22-2007, 18:11
The 31 and 33 are egr related and the 35 is a pulse width error.
the 41 is a brake switch fault.

I am thinking you need to check all the engine grounds and make sure the voltage to the ECM is good.
Check all the grounds at the rear of the intake manifold on the RH side of the engine. 1 rear manifold stud.

Be sure the battery grounds arre good. These can and do corode badly under the red rubber jackets.

Be sure you have good voltage at both batteries. 14 -14.7 when idling.

If you see voltage anomalies this may be your issue.
The codes are varied and unrelated so it makes me think grounds.
If in doubt at all replace the cables.

These trucks are very sensitive to voltage.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Robyn

gord finlayson
10-23-2007, 05:17
interesting. the truck surges along with the battery voltage unless i step on the brake to put (i think) more load on the alternator. in park the truck has always surged and ok in drive or with just foot on brake. the volt meter has done some preiodic shifts from 14 to 13 volts in steps as you drive along which could be related to grounds as you said. alos, i reseated a bunch of electrical connectors the other day and the stalling dissappeared for a couple days and now is less frequent. i will clear codes and clean wiring up
thanks

Robyn
10-23-2007, 06:38
Be sure your alternator is good too.
This really sounds like battery cable issues.
The side terminal cables are notorious for corrosion under the crimped areas.

I personally would replace the set entirely unless they are in very good shape.
The short cable that feeds power to the relay box is part of the LH + cable and can have issues.
Be sure you have good voltage at the infeed lug on the power/ relay box

The truck feed comes off the LH battery and the starter feeds from the RH. The alternator feed cable also feeds the LH battery.

I had issues with my 95 Dually in these areas and had to do some rework to get rid of codes and charging problems.

Good luck

Robyn

gord finlayson
10-23-2007, 07:33
have you ever heard of this surging at idle until i place foot on brake? i don't even have to put it in drive to stop the surging
thanks
i will be going over the electrical thanks

gord finlayson
10-25-2007, 11:59
the ignition switch went for a s**t last night. MIL lite off and on along with all other lites. it would start but shut off as soon as key went back into run position. the MIL was flickering. went for 5 minute walk, came back and all good!!

JohnC
10-25-2007, 12:38
I'd replace the ignition switch. They are known to be a problem in that year. It might cure all your problems.

gord finlayson
10-26-2007, 06:26
guess what! dead in the water!! the only thing working is the accesories and the crank function. no indicator lights come on at all!! sure looks like the switch. any tricks to changing? is it in the colum with a harness connector below the colom? how hard is the steering wheel to pull? (do i need a special puller)?

thanks

kaylabryn
10-26-2007, 08:04
The switch is the one down the column no need to pull steering wheel. Not to bad to replace though.

gord finlayson
10-26-2007, 08:44
?? doesn't the key tumbler turn the "switch" which is via electrical cable harness thru the colum to a connector at base of colom?

93GMCSierra
10-26-2007, 12:01
I dont know if they changed them but on years 93 and prior it uses a rod that moves with the key tumblers and does the actual activating of the electrical switch down below the dash.

gord finlayson
10-29-2007, 11:03
ignition switch is changed. cleaned all connections (grounds) it started and has not yet stalled
to soon to say thanks but....

gord finlayson
11-07-2007, 07:00
all good over a week
yipppeeee!

thanks to all