PDA

View Full Version : Help. Valve Noise. Then 216 Code Later

keno
12-20-2004, 12:13
I have looked at all of the valve rattle, clatter etc. posts as well as those for Code 216. My eperience is somewhat different. My '96 suburban has 140,000 miles.....20,000 I have put on in the last 5 months. According to the service history print out It's on its third IP. I updated the cooling. Replaced and relocated the IP controller (PMD?). Had to have transmission rebuilt, urgh! NOW for my recent problem: Within the last couple of weeks I have three occurrances where the valves would start rattling, clanging (my old sage machanic in Miss. where I grew up called it valve float). It has happened after I have been driving for a lomg period of time and I am decelerating down an exit ramp or slowing through a traffic signal. When I let up on the throttle and slow down then resume the throttle, the valves make all kinds of niose. It will resume normal operation in less than an minute and seems to normalize quicker if I give it more throttle. Once it goes through this cycle it seems to be OK for a few days or a few weeks. I drove 1500 miles this weekend and it did it once. I have never gotten a code light until about 500 miles after this last occurrance. It was a 216. I erased the code this morning and have driven about 35 miles and everything is just fine. Any thoughts?

TAG
12-20-2004, 16:36
216 is a timing problem. Noise you are hearing is probably combustion noise due to advanced timing. Timing stepper motor is on passenger side of pump towards the front, it has a linkage on the outside. Linkage could be sticking, stepper motor could be failing, could have internal pump problem or wiring or ecm. Will be hard to diagnose without scan tool, but changing stepper motor is a cost effective first move.

keno
12-20-2004, 17:23
TAG...Thanks for the help. I will go ahead a get it scanned. Regards, ken