PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel

gmenor
10-23-2007, 17:45
I just read an article about a person making his own bio-diesel in western NC and got fined $5000.00. Apparently he didn't pay fuel taxes for making and using bio-diesel in NC. Any thoughts?

JeepSJ
10-23-2007, 23:27
I just read an article about a person making his own bio-diesel in western NC and got fined $5000.00. Apparently he didn't pay fuel taxes for making and using bio-diesel in NC. Any thoughts?

That topic has been brought up in the past. This is the first that I have heard of someone getting fined though. Any idea how he got caught? How about a link to the article?

cowboywildbill
10-24-2007, 08:39
Next thing you know they won't let you make your own moonshine! He He!

DmaxMaverick
10-24-2007, 08:46
Shoulda' kept his mouth shut. If I was putting on over on big brother, I sure wouldn't talk about it.

Was he selling it? That would be a problem. Same with 'shine. No problem until you profit. Big bro' gotta get their cut.

Subzilla
10-24-2007, 13:10
I don't think this is the same person but this happened last spring here in Concord at Lowe's Motor Speedway. The Feds were out dipping and checking for dyed fuel in unsuspecting RVer's arriving for the 500. They saw this guy cruising by in a diesel Mercedes with a bumper sticker bragging about his Grease-burning vehicle. They pulled him and fined him on the federal level, then told him to expect a fine from the state. The news link is no longer valid from the Charlotte Disturber newspaper. The guy wasn't very upset about it - I'm not sure why. I've always thought that if they questioned my biodiesel, hey, I just bought this up the road at that little gas station on the corner!

Let me know how this other guy was caught. I use to brag about my hobby but I'm a little more carefull now about just who I talk to.

93GMCSierra
10-24-2007, 15:27
I have been under the impression that personal use alt fuel is no one elses business, it is the selling that gets complicated, you would need to have taxes paid and it would need to comply with the set fuel standard.
More of a vehicle safety standard then anything an I would assume that to be a good thing to abide by anyway.

Dakster
10-24-2007, 17:21
Somehow I think that this is an urban legend. First off, most states and the Feds have rules for home brewing and consumption. (Don't take my word for it, search for Bio-Diesel regulations and look up the rules.) You are allowed so many gallons a year tax free PROVIDED YOU ARE MAKING IT. How is the guy dipping you tank going to know if this is the first 10 gallons you've made or the 1,000th gallon? Unless you provide this information.

Second, dip my truck all you want, the Bio & d2 in it is commercially made, taxes paid, and is not red. Running, un-processed or un-trans-testerfied oil is NOT A FUEL, ergo, NO TAX. Run on grease all you want. Besides, which tax do you pay? What if my car ran on water, what tax would I pay for that? What about a 100% electric car?

I would still use common sense when dealing with DOT and the other 100 or so 3 letter acronym departments of the gov't. (EPA, DOE, FBI, ATF, PDQ, RFQ, OJS, etc...)

I don't keep all my receipts with me, but I do charge it on my credit card and can easily go back and prove that I paid for the fuel from a distributor. If needed, they can (and will) proide a breakdown of taxes paid per gallon, which currently run about $.53 per gal.

A little common sense goes along way, nothing ticks off a law man like bragging you are "pulling one over on the man."

rtphillips370
11-12-2007, 22:35
With diesel fuel hitting all time highs, I am becoming intrigued by this topic. Ive done some reading and searches here in the forum and select links I have found. My question is, if I cannot find a supplier for WVO, where would I find bulk fresh Veggie Oil and does anyone know what it goes for on an average? thanks ahead of time for an answer.

Low_Bridge
11-30-2007, 11:09
:confused:Is there a thread or an article on how to start the 6.2 conversion to veggie type?

mobilevet
01-21-2008, 12:26
I was told by a tech service guy at one of the diesel aftermarket supply stores that anything over 5% alt fuel (bio or veggie) would eventually toast an IP and the optic sensor would not meter it correctly... any truth to this?

93GMCSierra
01-21-2008, 13:25
To my knowledge that is not true I have heard, mind you hearsay, That B20 is the limit that new, as in 2007 and 2008, are supposed to have because of the design of the engine, however I believe it really depends on the quality of the Bio.

Dakster
01-22-2008, 18:48
B20 is in the process of getting approval for use by the auto manufacturers. ASTM is trying to get approval for a standard quality. B5 is currently the limit any of them will endorse.

Hopefully, sometime this year they will at least let us use B20 without trying to void your warranty...