PDA

View Full Version : Black oil on the LMM

D_R_C
10-24-2007, 17:00
First, I`ve been driving big rigs all my life and know the oil turns black even right after a oil change,Cummins-Cat.
I bough my first personal diesel in 03 6.0 Ford and even at 4,000 miles the oil still had brownish color to it.
This new LMM the oil is black at about 1500 miles is this do to the regin emission stuff or is it the nature of the D-max being like the big boy`s.
I dare not ask the dealer anymore questions,tired of the I don`t knows,or I`m not sure.

Thanks for any inputs.

mark45678
10-24-2007, 17:35
First, I`ve been driving big rigs all my life and know the oil turns black even right after a oil change,Cummins-Cat.
I bough my first personal diesel in 03 6.0 Ford and even at 4,000 miles the oil still had brownish color to it.
This new LMM the oil is black at about 1500 miles is this do to the regin emission stuff or is it the nature of the D-max being like the big boy`s.
I dare not ask the dealer anymore questions,tired of the I don`t knows,or I`m not sure.

Thanks for any inputs.

your motor is still breaking in , change the rear end and transfer case fluids ASAP . The ford diesel motor hold more oil so I would think it would take more time to change color also . You could get the rings to seat faster by hooking a big heavy trailer to its back and pulling some hills for a few hours , run it hard now or it will use oil for a while is my feelings.

enjoy your new truck , if nothing else it rides a lot nicer then your old ford !

DarylB
10-24-2007, 20:24
My 07 LBZ does the same thing - oil gets really sooty looking/grey/black very quickly - is this a byproduct of the EGR?

DmaxMaverick
10-24-2007, 20:58
My 07 LBZ does the same thing - oil gets really sooty looking/grey/black very quickly - is this a byproduct of the EGR?

That'd be my guess, along with a closed crankcase vent. Every LB7 non-EGR, open vent I've seen has had abnormally clean looking oil. The CA 2002+ LB7 has EGR, and every one I've seen gets black real quick. Quicker with the closed vent.

More Power
10-24-2007, 21:49
I agree with DM.. It's got to be EGR.

The non-EGR LB7's will run to 5-7K miles and still have amber oil, when run stock. The race programming out there (that produce lots more black exhaust smoke) in use by LB7 race/track trucks will quickly darken the oil.

The earlier 6.5L diesels we ran would also quickly darken the oil after an oil change, but I noticed synthetic oil would help to reduce it (better ring seal). We normally changed the 6.5's petro oil at 3,000 mile intervals, but synthetic would buy us another 1000 miles before the oil became too dark.

Jim

DieselMonk
10-25-2007, 03:19
The EGR is the killer... every engine would be better off without it.

D_R_C
10-25-2007, 17:36
your motor is still breaking in , change the rear end and transfer case fluids ASAP . The ford diesel motor hold more oil so I would think it would take more time to change color also . You could get the rings to seat faster by hooking a big heavy trailer to its back and pulling some hills for a few hours , run it hard now or it will use oil for a while is my feelings.

enjoy your new truck , if nothing else it rides a lot nicer then your old ford !

Thanks to all !
I am thinking its a combo of several things including the egr and this regin stuff it seems with mine it regins about every 300 miles for about 15-20 miles the last time.

One question why change the rear end and transfer case fluids at 4600 miles,I did my first oil change @ 3000 miles old habbits is hard to change.

DarylB
10-26-2007, 09:57
Thanks for the tip on the EGR. I pretty much figured that, since it's one of the main difference between the old LB7 I had. Hopefully Santa Claus will bring me a Kennedy PCM to rectify that nasty EGR!

bertram31
11-18-2007, 13:18
MARK45678, I noted your recommendation to change rear diff and transfer case oil ASAP. I have new 2008 Duramax 3500 Crew LMM. Only have 1200 miles. What is the reason for changing so early. Appreciate your comments and TIPS. Tx. r/ Roland

Dakster
11-19-2007, 10:09
The rear diff will be FULL of metal when you change it out the first time. I wouldn't say drive it home and change it, but after 1,500 miles or so. Let the break-in oil clean out the metal as the rear end breaks-in.

I am assuming the transfer-case is for the same reason?

Nolafishr
11-19-2007, 12:35
They recommend that you change the rear end oil at 500 miles because the gears are wearing in and meshing together, like a lot of guys said you will get some metal particles but that is to be expected. The engine oil, fuel filter and trans filter they recommend 1000 miles from what I have been reading and then it is at 5000 miles and so on like the owners manual says. :D

2007 Silverado 2500HD LT Ext Cab/Black Ext/Ebony Int/ LMM Diesel