PDA

View Full Version : Chuckin?

jdmurphy
10-24-2007, 17:46
Anybody have any suggestions on getting rid are at least minimizing this?
I have a 01 dually with air bags, rancho 5position shocks and a airride hitch.
The fifth wheel trailer is 37' from tip of pin box to the bumper, weighs 10500lbs with a 2100lb pin weight.
Thanks

Inspector
10-25-2007, 14:07
Are you talking about seam hopping? Also take a few minutes and add a signature so that we will know what you are dealing with and welcome to the Diesel Page.
Denny

jdmurphy
10-25-2007, 19:28
Man i hate this:confused:, what is required in a signature or more so what is a signature in order to help explain the what i am dealing with?
Thanks for the reply:D

DmaxMaverick
10-25-2007, 19:36
Man i hate this:confused:, what is required in a signature or more so what is a signature in order to help explain the what i am dealing with?
Thanks for the reply:D

You must have figured it out. Your signature looks fine. It does help with diagnosing problems. Others get a look at what vehicle and configuration you are referring to. Many issues are unique to specific model years and options.

trbankii
10-26-2007, 08:49
I'd like to help, but have no idea what you mean by "chuckin" - is that what you asking how to get rid of or minimize?

tanker
10-29-2007, 17:43
Most Chuckin has to do with wheelbase, IE: How far the trailer tandem is from the truck axles, and the concrete road seams, as "Inspector" indicated above. I had this with my suburban towing my current trailer. Yet never had it with towing my 30' Jayco travel trailer. Every so often on certain highways I get the chuckin (front to rear shoving) which continues to get worse until I either slow down or run one set of wheels on the paved shoulder. I-10 in Louisiana is noted by many RV'ers as the worst of the worse for trailer chuckin. My current tow vehicle, (05 GMC 3500) does not do it as often as my 95 Suburban did, and I think the extra 36" in wheelbase did help a lot.
Do you notice this on certain highways ? What changed, or has this been doing this a long time ? Is it more loaded or empty ? Any more information may help us help you.

Welcome aboard "The Diesel Page"

a5150nut
10-29-2007, 19:45
I55 in Orange county California is very bad, or used to be. I had a 54 Ford 1/2ton and I usually ran a center bit of a scaper (large earth mover) bolted to the floor just in front of the tail gate. Forgot I took it out one weekend to haul some gravel. Monday morning on my way to work, 5:00am half asleep, just poured a cup of coffee and turned of 91 to the 55. I had coffee dripping from the ceiling, in my lap, on the dash....Then I remembered! :confused: Better know as an aw****! :mad: I guesse that would be called chuckin????? ;)

trbankii
10-30-2007, 08:25
Most Chuckin has to do with wheelbase,

Thanks! Hadn't heard the term before.

Robyn
11-03-2007, 07:40
Its a tough call on that one.
Weight can help but the wheelbase can have a profound effect.

There is really no good way to cover for the interupted pavement bumping.

A few years ago I picked up my (then new) big rig and trailer up North of Seattle and drive it home on I 5 and with 8 axles down on the pavement and all that bumping like to drive me nuts.

The air bags might help but in practice I dont think there is much that will help with the sharp interuptions in the roadway.

The issue is that the truck is hitting one break and while its trying to recover the trailer is hitting it and a sort of harmonic sets up and the cycle just gets worse as you know.

I dont think there is anything much that can be done. The fiver is hooked up right over the rear axle of the truck and although this gives the best control it also gives the trailer a great purchase to pitch the truck for and aft.

You might look into the addition of extra shocks on the front and back of the truck to slow down the action of the suspension.

Stock single shocks will be far over worked under this application.

I am thinking two on each corner and possible 3 on each side in the rear.
Does the trailer have shocks? if not the addition of some may help to stabilze the trailers jouncing action.

Good luck
Robyn

94 at Large
11-03-2007, 13:01
http://www.trailair.com/

Try this site. Had one installed (Air Pin) on my unit after reading about the positive results of those that had them from the rv forum. Couldn't say how it was before as I had mine when new and have not towed a trailer that was not so equipped. You do get some of the push/pull movement but it is subtle and not jerky.