PDA

View Full Version : Oily smoke everywhere?!?!?

Rot Box
10-24-2007, 21:45
I'm asking this question for a friend of mine, and I appologize if it's already been covered but I've searched and haven't found quite what I'm looking for.....

For starters it is a 94 6.5L TD 2500 Suburban 4x4 with the 4L80E very nice vehicle with 230+K on the odo not sure if it's the original engine. PO has done a ton of upgrades to the truck (double t-stats, a good fsd cooler, spring style manual turbo blowoff ect.. if that helps in any way).

The problem: It pretty much blows oily smoke out every single vent on the engine--out the dipstick, turbo inlet, valve cover caps (on top) ect.... when I disconnect the tube on the turbo inlet it blows oily smoke out immediatly. The turbo also has an abnormally large amount of oil residue in its intake. The truck also has white smoke comming out the exhaust upon exceleration which I'm guessing is the excessive oil being burt. I haven't heard it yet but he say's that it also knocks pretty bad once in a while :confused:

Any idea's on where to start? I hope I've provided enough information. It's hard to tinker with things when I don't have direct access all the time, but I feel bad for him :( Thanks,

Andrew

neckcrank
10-24-2007, 22:43
Mine had a couple vacuum lines that popped off causing loss of power and alot of smoke. plus the A/C was blowing from the defrost only.

DmaxMaverick
10-24-2007, 22:44
If it happened all of a sudden, there's probably a hole in at least one piston. If gradual, it could be just a warn out engine with excessive blowby. Could be stuck ring(s). Hard to say w/o getting hands/eyes on.

daustin
10-25-2007, 05:06
With those symptoms it could be several things. First off, has the CDR been replaced recently? These 6.5's seem to develop some blow-by as the miles accumulate and the CDR sucks that into the intake right before the turbo. Also there's a blow-by test (i think it's outlined on Heath's site) that you can do & see how bad it is. Of course there's the possibility it's something major, hole in piston, crack between cylinder & oil passage..etc but i'd check the things that would put a minor hole in the wallet first.
Don

Robyn
10-25-2007, 06:29
A compression test is in order first off.

This condition sounds like more than a slightly worn engine.

Check the compression and I believe some answers will be found.

All cylinders should be close to each other and somewhere around 350Lbs

even at 320 things are ok but Im betting there is one or more that have issues.

Give it a go and let us know

Robyn

Rot Box
10-25-2007, 21:26
Thanks for the quick reply's I really appreciate the help :D

I passed the word along to my friend and he is going to replace the CDR then do a compression test next. On a side note: he checked with his "mechanic" and was given a $6000 dollar estimate to replace the engine (if it comes down to it) including labor :eek: that's more than the whole vehicles worth imo.... I'm glad I do my own work :rolleyes: