PDA

View Full Version : DMax clatter and smoke at 70+MPH

Troy
10-24-2007, 22:28
As I accelerated on the interstate to pull out in traffic the engine made a quick (1 sec or so) clatter. As I looked in the rear view mirror I noticed some smoke (could not determine color). If I had not had the radio off I don't think I would have heard the clatter. The engine was fully warmed up and I did not notice any hesitation in acceleration. Also over the next mile or so it would occure again intermittently when I accelerated. Could this be the start of an injector failure? The truck is a 2002 completely stock with 95K miles. I checked the oil it was normal as far as I could tell. One additional observation I noticed this past weekend that it seemed like there was a strong fuel smell with the window down.

DmaxMaverick
10-24-2007, 23:04
What year is your truck?

Mine has done that twice over the last year. No problems or anything, and I attributed it to a glitch of some sort. Just a snort, and back to normal.

Strangely enough, my '01 is scheduled for 8 injectors next week. This will likely be the last set on GM's nickel. Hopefully they got their act together this time. This will be the second full set. Not that I mind the timing....the 7/200 warranty is up in a couple weeks.

Mark Rinker
10-25-2007, 02:34
Any exhaust smoke at idle, or is the exhaust heavy with unburned fuel smell today?

The first time my '04 made a diesel clatter was 30 miles before it got 8 new injectors. Whatever changed, changed really fast and the fuel was pouring into that cylinder. Where there is smoke - there is - well...injector problems, usually. :eek: The oil didn't read overfilled, but was definately thinned out with some diesel, you could see it streaking on the dipstick, rather than adhering and reading easily/normally.

DMaxMaverick - how did you get a second set of injectors without having any problems? Is there some secret 'GM warranty-approved handshake' you want to share with the rest of us? ;)

Duramaster
10-25-2007, 06:12
Hey Mark, why doyou ask about the "SECRET HANDSHAKE?" :confused:

DmaxMaverick
10-25-2007, 08:39
......DMaxMaverick - how did you get a second set of injectors without having any problems? Is there some secret 'GM warranty-approved handshake' you want to share with the rest of us? ;)

You don't know the secret handshake??? Well....I could show you....but then I'd have to kill you.

No magic here. Started knocking some time ago, then smoke at idle. No codes. No fuel in oil. My dealer is pretty much "no nonsense". They do what they have to do (or should do). Too bad more dealers aren't like them. I made a reference to the "glitch" happening a couple months before the injector failure started showing. Don't know if they are related, but it happened, nonetheless. There were no immediate problems. The knock and smoke started some time later.

NutNbutGMC
10-25-2007, 17:27
I went through three sets (2002 - LB7) before I traded. The only secret hand shake I needed was to get in the Service Shop door. They really hated to see me coming.....

Troy
10-26-2007, 00:20
The truck is a 2002. No smoke at idle but a little stronger smell then normal. It did it again today and it had just a barly noticable stumble. Did it twice in the first mile of interstate travel. I drive 15 miles on country roads before I get to the interstate. It doesn't demonstrate anything until I get upto 70+ MPH. I think it is time to visit the dealer. I checked the oil and do not see anything out of the ordinary. Any specific check to determine if fuel is in the oil?