PDA

View Full Version : Lots of clatter after refueling

JeepSJ
10-25-2007, 19:42
Things have been going well, with the engine actually getting quieter and smoother the more I run it. Quiet to the point that you could hardly tell that it was a diesel when it was idling. After enjoying the quiet for a few tanks of fuel, I refueled earlier in the week and it suddenly sounded like a PS with bad injectors. The diesel clatter was horrible. I fueled at my normal station, and added my usual amount of Power Service. It has gotten a little better as I have driven it. I filled up again today and went about 100 miles on that tank and it is better than it was, but it is still much noisier than it was last week.

The one other thing that had changed - I had not been running any 2-stroke oil as an additive for a few tanks. I added some back into that tank, about 1/2 oz per gallon, but I did not add any when I filled up today.

I think I'm going to try a little experiment and not run any 2-stroke for a few tanks and see if it gets quiet again, then try adding some again and see what it does.

DA BIG ONE
10-26-2007, 04:30
You running gears instead of chain? If so, there is 2 deg more advance built into setup and when IP is set @ -1.94 the engine clatters like hell no matter what you put in it.

JeepSJ
10-26-2007, 09:25
Yes, I am running gears. I also have a 4911 pump, so no electronics and no offset to worry about. What I am trying to determine is why it was so quiet then suddenly got so noisy.