PDA

View Full Version : 75 cherokee

uglyjeep
10-26-2007, 23:28
Just wanted to introduce myself and my rig, which is soon to be diesel powered. I have absolutely no experience with diesels, but I do have several good diesel mechanics in the family. As far as my truck, It is a 75 jeep Cherokee, with two transmissions, a th350 backed by a t18, with a twin-sticked dana 20 modified for a offset rear output. It also gas a rear mounted hidden braden winch. The cherk doesn't have an engine in it right now but at one point in time it had a Chevy 350 in it. I've been going back and forth as to whether I want to swap in a 4bt/th400 combo, or just drop in a 6.2 (which right now I'm leaning towards the 6.2).
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/005.JPG
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/013.JPG a photo of the adapter between the th350 and the t18-1b

Robyn
10-27-2007, 06:22
Hello and welcome to TDP :D:D

Looks good.
I have seen a few of the older jeeps with the 6.2 installed.
Tbis would be an easy swap and the 6.2 will bolt right up to the TH 350.

Good luck and enjoy the fun

Robyn

JeepSJ
10-27-2007, 08:19
Nice Cherokee! I have seen pictures of that twin transmission setup before - that must be great for offroad.

I can tell you that the 6.2/6.5 works great in those. I love the 6.5 that I put into my Wagoneer.

Good luck!

uglyjeep
10-27-2007, 17:04
Robyn -- Thats why I'm leaning towards the 6.2, and also the parts (and engines) cost a heck of a lot less than for the 4bt. But from what I understand, I'd get better mileage with the 4bt...

JeepSJ -- You probably saw it over on the ifsja forum. Am I right?:) I have a quick question for you as you already have done the swap in a SJ - what other than swapping over to the chevy trans, engine mounts, and wiring is required to install a 6.2 or 6.5 in a full size jeep? Can you share some pics or do you have any links to pics of a 6.2 (or 6.5) in a SJ?

JeepSJ
10-27-2007, 18:07
There are lots of little things that go into it. Fuel system mods, brake booster (hydro vs vacuum pump), oil cooler, trans cooler, radiator, etc... I had clearance issues with the brake booster, so I went with a hydroboost setup. I also had to remove all the factory A/C stuff on the firewall for clearance for the turbo. I have a bunch of pictures...I just need to get time to post them. If you have any questions, send me a PM.