PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems - '04 Duramax

RobJJ
10-28-2007, 21:44
Was up fishing in the sticks and went back to get my truck to go pick up the boat...and just a click from the starter. It was late and I couldn't see anything under the truck, but the next day, I got under the truck to see if I could figure out if it was in fact the starter. Both batteries showed good charge 12 volt +. Under the truck, I first tried bumping the starter with a hammer...nothing. However, when I touched the hammer to the solenoid, it would start. I didn't have to actually hit the solenoid...just touching the hammer to it allowed it to engage. The hammer wasn't grounded or anything..weird to me. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

I suspect I will need to replace the solenoid and/or starter. Is the solenoid able to be replaced without replacing the starter at the same time?

How hard is it to get the starter out? It is pretty tight in there...can it be done without having to pull anything else?

Final question...I'd like to find a good manual for my 2004 Duramax 2500 HD...what is available, and which is the best?

TIA,

Rob

Mark Rinker
10-29-2007, 05:15
:D Maybe it was just the solenoid's FEAR of being struck?

When the starter on my '01 went out, it caused a short or some strange feedback circuit that stalled the engine, and engaged the horn. (No kidding...) There I was by the side of the road, horning blaring and looking for the right fuse to kill the RACKET!!!!

I think that starters can get hot and fail from extra exhaust heat on trucks that have been turned up. Mine failed right after my mods, and showed signs of thermal stress.

You might consider insulating the next one from the exhaust downpipe if you are running a high HP tune.

Duramaster
10-29-2007, 06:01
If you want the right set of manuals, go to your dealer. ;)