PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding hard starting... Please advise

ccole
11-01-2007, 14:54
Hello all-
I picked up a 1995 6.5 w/ 114,000 miles. I am trying to figure out why it starts hard and looking for others input/suggestions. It runs great and has no problems driving down the highway, it is just a little hesitant to get started. It always starts up, but while cranking, it wont fire up until the 2nd cycle of the glowplugs completes. Once the 2nd cycle of glowplugs warming completes, it starts right up. I have noticed some raw diesel smoke when it does fire up. Things to note:

-I just replaced all the injectors, glowplugs and fuel return lines
- Brand new batteries with good crank speed
- Bypassed electrical fuel pump so it runs whenever keyswitch is on (for testing purposes)
- Good electric fuel pump pressure
- New fuel filter

Other things to note:
- The first time after installing the glowplug and cycled the ignition switch, I heard a muffled "pop" sound. It really made me think of a glowplug popping. It happened only this first, initial time. So, I pulled all the wires off the glowplugs and check for continuality between a ground and the positive side of the glowplug tab to see if any had blown; all 8 checked out okay. Not really sure what was going on.?.?.?
- I just bought the truck and would guess it has the original injection pump
- I considered putting a clear fuel line on the injection pump return to check for air bubbles, but not sure if this would have anything to do with this situation.

Anybody out there have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help!!!

93GMCSierra
11-02-2007, 02:03
did you check to be sure the glow plug power is there? the timer that runs the glowplugs can go bad.

ccole
11-02-2007, 06:23
Thank you for the suggestion. I will verify all 8 wiring leads are all getting 12volts and post results. Thanks again!