PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using an FS2500 or something like it?

Shed
11-01-2007, 14:59
Talking to friend about this new FS2500 he put in his D-Max. He of course swears that it will make the truck "last longer". Not sure how long he's thinking, but.... Just wondering if anyone out there is running this set-up or something like it.... What do you think/like/dislike about it? Any pros or cons I should be aware of before thinking about this upgrade? Thanks! Shed

Shed
11-01-2007, 20:44
Forgot to say what this is!!!! This is an auxillary engine oil filter that filters down to I believe .3 microns? I think there are others but don't have alot of info on them. Wonder what they cost?
Thanks for any imput!

DennisG01
11-02-2007, 05:40
Not yet, but as soon as Heath finishes up their kit for the 6.5, I'll sure as heck try to be their first customer. I'm waiting for the Heath kit (as opposed to just buying it outright) because it is measured up for the 6.5 and includes a new oil fill tube for the return oil line. Did you check out FS2500's website? There's some good info there. There are only positives to a bypass set-up - no negatives. Check out the 6.5 page here - there was a little discussion about 2 or 3 weeks back about this - as soon as I get my kit, I'll be posting again on the 6.5 page.

phill0072
11-02-2007, 05:41
I had one on the 18 wheeler that I drove, it was a company truck and they equiped the whole fleet with it they said it was cost effective because they said they could extend the oil change intervals. I was thinking about one for my D-MAX they run 430.00 for the rubber hose kit and 480.00 for the stainless hose kit. I drive 120k a year with a 5 year trade cycle and all my previous work vans had the amsoil bypass kit on them but I was looking to try something a little different on this van. The only reason I would put it on would be for better protection not to extend the change interval. I am one of those people that belive in the 10k oil change "once a month" and only use amsoil syn oil. and never had any internal engine problems.

Barkbuster
11-02-2007, 09:54
I got an Amsoil bmk-17 dual remote setup and don`t plan on an oil change till end of summer in 08. filters to 2 microns and the full flow is 3 times bigger and is good to 15 microns. 3000+ miles on the Amsoil HDD 5w-30 series 3000 synthetic and its still a clear black though darker than when it went in. Before the kit went on oil was opaque in 500 miles.I was thinking of getting the fs2500 till I learned Amsoil upgraded their filter media plus its way less pricey.

jsmiracle
11-03-2007, 11:22
I installed the Amsoil BMK-17a dual remote bypass a couple of months or about 2500 miles ago. The oil is still "medium golden" in color on the oil dipstick and no loss in level:). The system adds about 1.5 to 1.75 qts in total capacity. I don't exactly remember the price, but it seemed to be approx. 60% of the cost you quoted. I run Amsoil 5W-40 and the oil pressure seems fine so far.

I hope some of this helps.

Jim M.

Craig M
11-12-2007, 09:10
Allmost all the information on bypass oil filters is positive. Any additional filtering in conjunction to the primary filter has to be an addition. Data from the various producers, Amsoil, Oil Guard, Luberfiner, Toilet paper unit, etceteraa is all over the graph. No standard for data reporting. Micron filter data is good, but percent passing varies from different companies as well as actual test used. Is 99% passing a 1 micron better than 80% passing a 0.5 micron filter? Extended oil drain intervals can be available with these units, but most suggest oil testing before extending drain intervals.

steak2k1
11-16-2007, 23:17
I have had one of these installed since about March. It was the 2nd Mod I did after the EGR block/finger. I cannot be happier. This system allows for double the length of time between oil changes. I find it stays much cleaner - longer. It was about 500 CAD at time of purchase. Probably could have got it from the US a bit cheaper but then there is delivery and this thing was not light. It filters down to 2 micron.

No issues other than remembering to change out the sealing O ring when changing cartridges... (don't ask em how I know that..!!). bought half doz cartridges from a vendor I found online at half the price they were up here... $25. ea

For me the whole thing is engine longetivity by keepin it clean: EGR block/finger, FS2500, Stanadyne fuel filter. And yup, I run the Banks but am not a 24 yr old with extra testosterone and feel the need for speed...well, OK, once in while :D But usually it is set at level 3 or 4 and I normally use a light foot.

IMOP, Oil bypass is a good idea regardless of whose unit you install.
cheers,

stk