PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 non-turbo to 6.5 turbo

johnanc
01-12-2006, 05:01
I'm replacing a 6.5 TD in a recently purchased '94 K2500 (because of cracked heads) with a 6.5 non-TD I had installed in an '84 Blazer as a 6.2 replacement. I'd like to know if I can use the 6.2 injectors, or anything else I haven't thought of yet, with the 6.5 TD injector pump. Othewise I was going to reuse all the '94 6.5 TD components.
Was also wondering about the purpose of the component that sits in hole where the mechanical fuel lift pump lived in my '84 configured 6.5.

john8662
01-12-2006, 06:08
Use the 6.5TD injectors, they are of a shorter body than the early 6.2 injectors, which gives proper clearance between the turbo exhaust manifold and the injectors/lines.

The place normally used for you mechanical lift pump in a 6.2 configuration will now become your turbo oil drain location. The 6.5 has a block off plate that has a tube attached to it to provide oil back into the engine.

johnanc
01-12-2006, 07:41
John, Thank for the reply. Not sure if I was clear about my basic plan but I'm

Originally posted by john8662:
Use the 6.5TD injectors, they are of a shorter body than the early 6.2 injectors, which gives proper clearance between the turbo exhaust manifold and the injectors/lines.

The place normally used for you mechanical lift pump in a 6.2 configuration will now become your turbo oil drain location. The 6.5 has a block off plate that has a tube attached to it to provide oil back into the engine.

johnanc
01-12-2006, 07:46
John, Thank for the reply. Not sure if I was clear about my basic plan but I'm going to take the 6.5 out of my '84 Blazer (which had been a replacement for a non-TD 6.2) and replace the 6.5 TD in the '94 K2500 truck I bought with cracked heads. Someone locally told me that if there is a place on my 6.5 in the front cover to accept a crank shaft position sensor (which there is) it is capable of being turbo-charged. I was considering some aftermarket hardware like a intercooler, pyrometer and water pump/dual thermostat parts to insure the heads don't crack or warp. If you have any suggestions there welcome. Thanks, John

Barry Nave
01-12-2006, 09:11
accept a crank shaft position sensor (which there is) it is capable of being turbo-charged.

Any 6.2-6.5 can be turbo charged. The statement above is what would be needed to use for a DS-4 inj. pump.
If you now have a Mechanical inj. pump you need not worry about that area.

john8662
01-12-2006, 11:24
Since the 6.5 has been treated as a 6.2, you will want to swap just about everything from the 94 6.5 engine onto the replacement engine.

You are correct in the sensor needing to be on the front timing cover. There will be a hole in the timing cover to accept the crank position sensor, your replacement engine might have the right timing cover already, but have a plug in the hole where the crank position sensor was. The hole will be on the right hand side of the engine, if you're facing the front of the engine.

Otherwise, you'll need to remove the timing cover from the old engine and transplant it on the replacement engine, as well as the reluctor wheel that's on the crankshaft, if not already equipped, and possibly used the harmonic balancer from the old engine if no reluctor wheel is found.

If you're not already aware, the waterpump will have to be repalced as well. The v-belt 6.2 waterpump rotates a different direction than the serpentine belt system on the 6.5. Speaking waterpumps, since you're there you might consider upgrading to the HO water pump and adding the dual thermostat water crossover. A kit can be purchased that has these parts necessary for the conversion from vendors on this site. The 6.5 book sold elsewhere in the members section is also a must, because it covers this specific upgrade. Afterall, the original heads were cracked badly on the now dead engine, might as well take the steps to protect the next engine.

J

johnanc
01-12-2006, 12:19
John,
Thanks, John

Since the 6.5 has been treated as a 6.2, you will want to swap just about everything from the 94 6.5 engine onto the replacement engine.

You are correct in the sensor needing to be on the front timing cover. There will be a hole in the timing cover to accept the crank position sensor, your replacement engine might have the right timing cover already, but have a plug in the hole where the crank position sensor was. The hole will be on the right hand side of the engine, if you're facing the front of the engine.

Otherwise, you'll need to remove the timing cover from the old engine and transplant it on the replacement engine, as well as the reluctor wheel that's on the crankshaft, if not already equipped, and possibly used the harmonic balancer from the old engine if no reluctor wheel is found.

If you're not already aware, the waterpump will have to be repalced as well. The v-belt 6.2 waterpump rotates a different direction than the serpentine belt system on the 6.5. Speaking waterpumps, since you're there you might consider upgrading to the HO water pump and adding the dual thermostat water crossover. A kit can be purchased that has these parts necessary for the conversion from vendors on this site. The 6.5 book sold elsewhere in the members section is also a must, because it covers this specific upgrade. Afterall, the original heads were cracked badly on the now dead engine, might as well take the steps to protect the next engine.

J

catmandoo
01-15-2006, 19:06
my 6.5 n/a is turbo charged,it's called a banks.and needs none of the electronic crap.but if you want to use the original turbo,and pump etc.you will have to remove the timing chain cover and replace the lower gear.probably a good time for a t-chain anyway,