PDA

View Full Version : Dtech Pmd

Robyn
11-02-2007, 08:30
Recently while trying to fix a little issue with DaHooooley
I decided to replace some usual suspects such as the Fuel lift pump and the Oil pressure switch.
I also decided that a fresh PMD would be in order too as I have no idea how long the one on the truck had been there.

I called my friendly stanadyne repair shop and chatted with Mark
He told me that he was selling the DTech units as well as the factory goodies.
I bought one of the new Dtech PMD and it is calling the tune now on my rig.

It looks about like a regular Stanadyne unit but is about a third thicker.

Nice looking little creature as far as one can see.
Bolted it on and the rig runs fine.
Actually my issue apears to have been the filter harness as upon replacing that the issue disapeared.

I have marked down the date and miles when I installed the DTech
so we shall see.
The cost was good too at $239

I am soon going to relocate the PMD and cooler to the RH nostril in the bumper.

Later troops

All my best
Robyn

Hubert
11-02-2007, 16:21
Glad to hear you fixed it. What was the problem? Did you first try and delete the electronic noise filter harness thingy to help diagnose? I assume you are talking about the one under the intake.

Robyn
11-02-2007, 20:23
I replaced the Oil pressure switch to eliminate a fuel pump issue as well as replacing the lift pump as it looked to be the original.
Replaced the PMD Just because they are notorious for issues.
First test drive saw a return of the fishbite symptom for a few seconds so I replaced the filter harness and the gremlin has gone away.

I hate the change parts and see thing but the OPS and the fuel pump were looking a tad thrashed so its easier in the yard than out on the road in the cold somewhere.

After the second run and the miss was still there the filter was the next best possibility with no codes showing.
There were some other thoughts but they were farther out on the list and far more spendy.:eek:

Truck runs fine now so I am getting closer to declaring the dragon vaquished.

If its stays trouble free though next week I will say its fixed :D

Robyn

gmctd
11-05-2007, 10:02
Stanadyne reworked the IP harness due to intermittents in the '94-'97 harnesses - the new versions are teflon-insulated high strand-count silvered-wire, with crimped and soldered connectors - same with the new OS Filters, required with the early DS4 IP's - not required with the 2000-up DS4-5521 IP

Subzilla
11-05-2007, 11:06
Robyn, you've once again made me snicker as you've "coined" another term that I've never heard! "...rh nostril in the bumper..." Now, everytime I see a 6.5 truck, I will expect to see some green slimy stuff waiting to ooze out of the bumper nostrils!

DaveNY
11-06-2007, 19:00
Robyn, you've once again made me snicker as you've "coined" another term that I've never heard! "...rh nostril in the bumper..." Now, everytime I see a 6.5 truck, I will expect to see some green slimy stuff waiting to ooze out of the bumper nostrils!

What is that Stuff?????????

Stratosurfer
11-06-2007, 19:03
I am soon going to relocate the PMD and cooler to the RH nostril in the bumper.

Robin,
I went to Ace Hardware and picked up a 4' section of 1" aluminum angle to bumper mount PMD's on both rigs. I pulled the license plate holder screws off, held the angle behind the bumper centerline and with a cut piece of the angle pressed flat against the back of the bumper drilled the two holes through the license plate mounting holes. Then pulled the angle out and drilled the top lip for the two mounting holes for the cooler mounted with the PMD on bottom as designed (you can select passenger side or driver side orientation). I bolted the cooler to the angle, pushed the whole rig through one of the nostrils and then bolted the angle to the license plate holder. It works fantastic in Texas heat: it has no -direct- airflow over it as it it behind the center portion of the bumper, but my tests find it fabulously cool, nothing ever over ambient after 75+MPG cruising. Slower cruising same results. The center section mounting has the advantage of shielding he harness to PMD connector from direct rain in a shower.
Thought I'd pass on. Besides, if the cooler were mounted directly in either nostril it might look like a booger!
Quite embarrassing...
MBM

Subzilla
11-07-2007, 06:53
Dave NY, I was making reference to the nostril term and what typically flows from nostrils. Just being silly and not trying to rag on the 6.5! Stratosurfer picked up on it: "..if the cooler were mounted directly in either nostril it might look like a booger!"

Anybody have a 6.5 Suburban they want to get rid of?? I'm ready for the nostril look.