PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Suburban Air Bag ECM?

Crashly
11-02-2007, 11:07
My wife was in a fronatla accident and the air bag did not go off. Both of the front frame horns that connect to the bumper were bent down about 30 degrees so the insurance company totaled the sub. GM is going to send an inspector out to inspect the air bag ecm and see what it has to say in its memory. Does anybody know where the ecm brain is located in the 1996 suburbans? Does anyboady have a frame for sale? I am in Southern Ca.

HH
11-02-2007, 18:22
The "black box" is usually located under the driver or passenger seat.

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2007, 22:19
Welcome to the Forums!

I've heard this many times. "I got in a crash, and the airbags didn't go off". Be very careful what you wish for. Was your wife severely injured, to the point the airbag would have likely lessened the injury? Airbags are very violent. Many times, they cause injury from the deployment. However, by the time they deploy, that collision without them is likely to be many times more injurious, and sometimes fatal. Very often, vehicle owners feel "ripped off" or feel the system failed because they total their vehicle and didn't have the airbags deploy. Deployment is triggered by impact inertia, not just collision. If the inertia isn't great enough, they will not deploy. Early systems did have a "black box" type controller, but they don't really tell much, and I'm not certain what changes were made to the system parameters from year to year. They will show whether a deployment was triggered or not, which could verify a failure in the system, or show the system was operating properly. Don't be too surprised at what the inspector finds.

Be sure to let us know what is determined. The information could be very helpful to members in the future.

Robyn
11-03-2007, 07:17
Crashly

Welcome to TDP :D:D:D

Glad to have you and I do hope your wife was not injured in the recent event.

Let me say this. I hate the current air bag systems and I will not have one on any of my rigs that can operate.

A girlfriend of mine who is now 27 YO was permanently blinded by a low speed crash that deployed the bag system.

The concept however good is not being realized in the real world.

IMHO the systems need to have a switch that allows the owners to decide if the risk of injury from the bag is worth while.

I have had rigs with bags and all were deactivated until such time that we sold the vehicle then reactivated.

I wont force my opinion on anyone but the evidence I have seen first hand is enough to convince me that there is a better way and that the risk is too high to justify.

These bags are not like the soft pillows shown in the TV adds the waft out like a soft fluffy cloud to allow the driver to float safely to a landing after a violent crash.

These suckers hurl out at warp speed and if your face is too close to the bag (Sometimes unavoidable) its like getting hit with a plank swung by Paul Bunyon.

Its not hard to deactivate the little bomb in the wheel but it is a personal choice.

Just some very strong feelings after seeing a close friend lose so much in a 20 MPH tin tweeker.

OH and for those who read this and choose to trash me, just think about your young wife being blinded for life before you pound on the keyboard.

Best to all and please be safe, wear the seat belt and stay away from the air bag.

Missy Robyn

HH
11-03-2007, 18:33
Robyn is correct, airbags can be dangerous. I have seen several injuries from low speed impacts, caused by the airbag. Most of the injuries from airbags were to small stature women and children, sitting closer to the airbag. Some may remember all the press about kids in child seats getting killed. In the 1997 model year, airbags were "depowered" and there was a new compliance test for vehicles to pass the NHTSA standards with the new bags. It was a "joke"!

Previous to the change in 1996, the NHTSA mandated vehicles pass the compliance standard injury values with the crash test dummy unbelted and belted at 30mph. The airbag has to deploy at high speeds to protect the unbelted dummy. At the time, early 90s, in Canada, the test dummy only had to pass while belted, of course Canada had higher seatbelt usage than the US. Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Standards are almost the same as the US.

The advanced airbag systems of today are much better and have dual stage deployment. The sensors and algorithms have become better and the dangerously high speed deployments should not occur in low speed crashes.

OTOH, I would not disconnect the airbag , unless I fit in the category of a small stature individual and I had to sit close to the bag. One can buy pedal extenders to sit farther from the wheel, many manufacturers offer this standard. The airbag and seatbelt are designed to work as a system.

Many said the seatbelt was dangerous when it first came out, and they were right, and then the shoulder belt was developed. You wouldn't take out your seatbelts would you?

History note: GM was the first to offer an airbag equipped car, 1973 Fullsize. (IIRC).

Robyn
11-03-2007, 20:00
Suprisingly there are still those out there that will tell you that they want to get thrown clear.

My daughter and son inlaws Jeep Liberty has a key switch on the RH side bag.

I love seat belts and feel naked without one even in the big rig.
I have seen guys on job sites spreading rock and have a truck go over and with the seat belts they get little more than aneed for a change of shorts.

The bomb in the wheel still make me nervous though.
!0-4 on the small statured folks.
Im near 6 foot and run the seat into the bed with my long legs so Im not affected that way.

I still feel nervous about the air bag.
I accidentally set one off when working under the dash on the 95 Burb we had a few years back.
Definately will get your undivided attention when it goes off. :eek: (Colorful expletives optional) :D

I was working wiring in a trailer brake controler and was reaching up to get ahold of some wire and the Bag feed wire got pulled and the little plug came loose and that was enough to touch it off.
Afterwards I was looking and read the tag on the wire that reads DO NOT UNPLUG WITH POWER CONNECTED.
HMMMM Imagine that.:rolleyes:

I had my one arm though the wheel hanging under the dash when it lit up and the sucker bruised the crap out of my arm real good.

Just food for thought though.

I still believe that any safety device should first off do no harm then anything good it does is a plus.

Best to all

Robyn