PDA

View Full Version : Manual Glow Control ?

mudnutt
01-12-2006, 12:30
For those of you that have done this with a ford starter relay, where did you mount the relay? I'm in the process of doing this and trying to figure out where i want to mount the relay.

Thanks

rjschoolcraft
01-12-2006, 12:39
Hold on a day or two...

More Power will be publishing my article on manual glow control. No extra relays required! :cool:

mudnutt
01-12-2006, 12:54
ronniejoe, wish i had asked this question yesterday. i just bought a new relay this morning. dint get to far with it though it started raining in my garage

mudnutt
01-13-2006, 09:43
well until that article gets put up does anybody else have any suggestions where they mounted the relay

N9Phil
01-13-2006, 10:27
On my 88, I mounted it to the firewall. There was a grounding bolt that I was able to use. I took 2 pieces of #10 stranded wire about 18 inches long and soldered round terminals on each end. I attached the wires from the input and output terminals on the glow plug controller to the input and output of the starter relay. I ran a fused wire from the fuse panel under the dash to a push button switch mounted on the dash. I ran another wire from the push button switch thru the firewall to the starter solonoid. Works Great smile.gif

I also plan to do the same to my two 95's I've got the parts but not in the mood.

N9Phil

mudnutt
01-13-2006, 10:42
thanks N9Phil
thats what i plan on doing. just trying to get an idea where to mount the relay. my firewall seems kinda crowded.

More Power
01-13-2006, 13:28
Here's RJ's Manual Glow Control (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/manualglow.htm) piece... smile.gif

This is the best solution I've seen for manual glow control on the 1994 or newer EFI engine...

Jim

mudnutt
01-13-2006, 17:38
thanks MP. now i just have to study this for awhile to make sure i dont mess anything up before i try it

stingthieves
01-13-2006, 18:19
I do not wish to take away the significant efforts of RJ and this slick rehab of the stock system - but why go thru - in his word "stand on the head time"
Too Much Drama. Wire in the stand-alone relay over the stock relay connections as Phil describes - it always works and is just too simple. That

bbudus
01-13-2006, 22:27
This is the easiest and cheapest mod I have done so far. Went to my electronics store bought a diode($.89). Then to Napa and bought a always off, toggle on switch(1.79). Soldered the diode to the yellow wire on the glow plug controller, ran a wire from the switch to the battery, switch to controller, heat shrinked and walla, presto, up and running, took about 20min tops.

Works awsome. The thought of ford parts on my truck makes me ill. Sorry :(

Bbudus

rjschoolcraft
01-13-2006, 23:33
[quote]Originally posted by stingthieves:
[b] I do not wish to take away the significant efforts of RJ and this slick rehab of the stock system - but why go thru - in his word "stand on the head time"
Too Much Drama. Wire in the stand-alone relay over the stock relay connections as Phil describes - it always works and is just too simple. That

mudnutt
01-16-2006, 07:33
ronniejoe
guess i should have thanked MP for posting your article and you for writing it.

its been awhile since i had highschool shop class or messed with diodes so could you tell me which way the diode is supposed to be oriented in the system? which way does the end with the band go?

rjschoolcraft
01-16-2006, 08:09
In the photo in the article, the band is on the right on the diode shown. This means that current can flow from left-to-right (in photo orientation) but not right-to-left.

Hope this helps.