PDA

View Full Version : dtcs 35 and 36

Paul Foster
11-06-2007, 12:41
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into these codes. The truck is a 95 and it doesn't seem to have any driveability problems. thanks in advance for any help! Paul

drewkeen
11-06-2007, 21:35
Where is your FSD/PMD located?

Pull the wire off it and see if there is a resistor. I had the same codes, and it turned out there was not a resistor installed. I got a #9 resistor and it made the light go away.

gmctd
11-06-2007, 22:39
Paul - incept date January 2005, and only one post in almost 3yrs?:eek:

Good record for a 13yr old truck, eh?

Try cleaning the battery terminals and ground connections, and add ~8oz powerservice additive, along with ~8oz 2-stroke TC-W3 ashless motor oil to a full tank of standard ULSD fuel, see if that helps

Paul Foster
11-07-2007, 06:37
Paul - incept date January 2005, and only one post in almost 3yrs?:eek:

Yeah, sorry about that, I actually own an 04 duramax and am looking at this one for a friend. Thanks for the tips guys....

Paul Foster
11-20-2007, 14:22
Just wanted to let you know I got it fixed, it was the PMD. Thanks guys.....

damork
11-20-2007, 15:00
Paul,
Just checking in and saw your post. I sold my 95 Yukon in Sept with 258k miles on original engine and trans. I had code 36 on my truck after more than one pump / PMD swap. A call to Stanadyne engineering gave me some insight - colder fuels as well as failing parts can contribute, but don't always assume the worst. Stanadyne explained that in some of the warranty returns, the found very small traces of contamination with the fuel delivery solenoid which affects the response time that results in codes. It was not clear where the contamination was coming from, but extra filtration may help as well as the use of a lubricity additive (I was already running Stanadyne Performance Blue).

The 94 and 95 model trucks also seemed to be more sensitive to that tolerance. After getting the newest pump on it and adding pre-lift pump filtration (Racor 30 micron), I still would get code 36 on colder days, but it always went away when the engine was warmed up and usually didn't take long. I basically ignored it as long as the truck ran well, and it was running strong with over 140k miles since the last Stanadyne pump was installed. I also ran the BD Performance "Race" chip in it for the last 200k I owned it and had no problems. Don't be alarmed if you see the code again, but my experience told me the improvements in later pumps from Stanadyne and extra fuel filtration seemed to correct most of the problems I experienced.