PDA

View Full Version : Fram HD Fuel Filter

Spoolmak
11-06-2007, 16:30
Time to change my fuel filter - now have 25,000 km on the free GMC warranty filter - so I bought a Fram Heavy Duty PS9059A. Now after reading some of the posts on Fram filters, I'm having cold feet. I'm thinking I should take it back and buy a Baldwin or the GMC factory filter.
Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

2004 GMC 2500HD crew cab short box, duramax, Allison, 105,000 km

ccole
11-06-2007, 18:33
I was thinking Parker Racor was the only vendor/manufacturer for the latest and greatest DMax filter and they sold them to other filter companies. Regardless, I would find out for sure before I would put a Fram on anything I own. I have cut several filters open in my line of work and Fram always ranks dead last.

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2007, 20:48
Friends don't let friends use Fram.

For a time, Parker/Racor was the only manufacturer of the Duramax fuel filters, regardless of the label. As of late, other mfg's have been producing them. It wouldn't matter to me where Fram sources their filters, they don't get my cash. Also, there should be NO "heavy duty" OEM replacement filter. It should either be a replacement or not. The filter has been updated by GM/Dmax over time, and the filter manufacturers should be producing them according to the current specifications. Anything else, at this point anyway, would be a risk, and possibly a reason for warranty service denial.

Spoolmak
11-07-2007, 09:30
Thanks for the advice. Am taking the Fram back and will get the filter from the dealer.
What was I thinking??......

DmaxMaverick
11-07-2007, 10:02
You don't have to get it from the dealer. Wix or Napa are good filters. At 1/2 the dealer price. Of all the brands available, Fram is the only one I wouldn't use.

Mark Rinker
11-07-2007, 12:46
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duramax-6-6L-GMC-Chevrolet-Diesel-Fuel-Filter-OEM-Racor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33660QQihZ020QQit emZ300165423140QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

So these should be okay to run?

DmaxMaverick
11-07-2007, 13:14
If they are in fact Parker/Racor, they will be the same as the re-labeled AC filter you'll get at the dealer.

You can do better on the price through TDP Advertisers, though. That Ebay shipping is kinda' steep, as usual.

Kennedy
11-07-2007, 16:23
It used to be that they were all the same, just a resale part, but now there are several different manufacturers building their own. I don't have the time or patience to cut them all open so I am sticking with a name that I trust-Baldwin.

Spoolmak
11-08-2007, 09:17
Thanks for the information and suggestions. The Fram went back to the store, the new GMC dual pleat, 4 micron filter is in, and I found a local source for Baldwin filters (oil, air, fuel and tranny) with decent prices. I'll be going that route from now on.