PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on value of this Jeep, please

julesagogo
11-07-2007, 05:27
I'm looking at buying this Jeep for a conversion to WVO/biodiesel and wondered what you think about how the price is set for this car. I haven't seen it yet. Would you pay $2800 for it? If not, about how much would you pay given the limited info here?

1985 AMERICAN MOTORS CHEROKEE PIONEER
2 DR WAGON SPORT UTILITY
2.1L Turbocharged Diesel I4 OHV 8V FI Engine
4 WHEEL DRIVE, 5 speed

125K miles, annual inspection in VA expired (not a great sign), they said the right side door opens/closes but the lower hinge has broken. It's "cosmetically challenged" and has a new battery. Carfax was clean, vehicle has appeared to stay in the same area but no mileage reported from 1985 (95 miles) to 2000 (95k miles).

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/julesagogos/Jeep?authkey=0lJgrcx_tVA

When I ran the numbers in kbb/edmunds the value came out to be around $300 - $400.

Thanks!

Colorado Kid
11-07-2007, 08:30
All the parts that are Cherokee are easy to find. The parts that are Renault Diesel are impossible to find as about 5% or less of Cherokees is all they ever came in in the USA.

Having owned a Volvo 264 with a Pegeot, Volvo, Renault gas V-6 I've sworn off any engine in which the french took part in the design or manufacture, especially in the '80s. That car ran badly longer than most cars will run, but when the insurance adjuster totalled it after it was rammed by a Lincoln I was SO HAPPY that I'd never again have to fight with that engine. (For example, the spark plugs were at the bottom of 4 inch vertical tubes that filled with water and whatever else happend to blow across the top of the engine. The ignition would short out for a cylinder and I'd have a mining project just to get the plug out . . . once I pulled a plug wire off I always had to remove the plug before I could get the wire re-attached. Adjusting the valves was more work than overhaulling a 4 cylinder Volvo engine.

I haven't owned a TD Cherokee . . . I was tempted but broke when they were new (I hadn't owned the 264 yet!). I'd have to be very comfortable that the engine was well maintained and working perfectly to be talked into a used one now, and the cosmetics do not lead me to think the one your looking at has seen adequate care. If it moves under its own power, stops and steers it's worth maybe $500. I wouldn't spend any money fixing it up though, as the engine could fail at any point, and you won't be rebuilding or replacing it.

bigeasy
11-07-2007, 08:40
I agree with Colorado Kid :rolleyes:
If it was mint condition show room clean maybe $1500 top dollar.

julesagogo
11-07-2007, 14:48
Thanks guys - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something only known to diesel enthusiasts. ;)

Mark Rinker
11-07-2007, 18:15
Run away! :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Bus-Vanagon-Vanagon-1990-Volkswagen-Vanagon-Converted-Biodiesel-Ready_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ15291QQihZ004QQit emZ140176885308QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here's one already done, with plenty of space to haul your fryvatoilsuckerfiltrationgizmos around in!

JeepSJ
11-07-2007, 21:41
Take it from a Jeep guy...that isn't worth anything near that asking price. If it is mechanically excellent, then maybe $500.