PDA

View Full Version : Ulsd Fuel Additive 2008 Lmm

bertram31
11-07-2007, 16:47
Have new 2008, approx 1000 miles, been reading alot about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), according to my owners manual is mandatory. Have several gas stations who carry it so no problem getting it. My question is, should I still put diesel additive, for the added lubricity properties that with the 500 ppm were very important to have. I also have a 2003 Jetta diesel and always use the Power Service additive. Is their any harm in using the Power Service as an addes measure of fuel safety (lubricity) Thanx. r/ Roland

D_R_C
11-07-2007, 19:08
I`m using Power Services Diesel Kleen in mine now with 5,000 miles on my LMM,I started using it about 1,000 miles.
I did call them P.S. on if there additive would be OK,which they said yes,of course what else would they say.
GM say`s NO on any additive it is not needed,so I would not broadcast it.
I`m not to confidant on GM knowing much of anything especially if there is no trouble codes.
Actually I`m doing a combo 22 oz. of Diesel Kleen and mixing 10 oz. of Lucas Fuel additive in a 32 oz. bottle and then adding 1/3 oz of this mix per gal.of diesel to the tank.
I`ve used this mix for several years,I don`t think every tank full is a must, but I feel something is needed at least every other.

DmaxMaverick
11-07-2007, 19:11
Be VERY careful when mixing additives of different brands. They MUST be of the same type. I don't know what happens when you mix an emulsifier with a demulsifier, but it can't be good.

bertram31
11-08-2007, 18:46
DRC, appreciate your feedback. I find myself a little paranoid. Brand new truck and dealer saying no and additive company saying no problem. Fully understand both positions. My initial thought is that the 2008 was engineered to run the ULSD diesel so hopefully the associated issues of fuel lubricity are resolved. But having been a long time 6.5 owner and the GM recall of the injection pump due to lubricity problems does not give me solid confidence in dealer recommendations. My thought is, a little POWER SERVICE certainly will not hurt, GM states it is not necessary, but like with all fuel additives, dealers never endorse the necessity to use them, it is the aftermarket gurus that understand the true value of their benefit. POWER SERVICE has such a solid reputation worldwide for their diesel additive product that I feel comfortable using on the new 2008. As indicated earlier, my 2003 Jetta uses PS every tank and what an incredible running vehicle. I usually average 48 mpg!!! Look forward to much more dialogue on our new LMMs. r/ Roland

mr. monte
11-08-2007, 21:30
I use "power service" in every tank, we have had problems with fuel here every winter, with out cat and powerstroke, after adding it, no more cold weather issues, I have almost 14,000 miles on the duramax now in just over 3 months, no issues so far :)

D_R_C
11-09-2007, 17:12
bertram31,
I knew a chemist would chime in on me mixing,but a total of 75K + miles on 2 vehicles using this mix with what I feel,good results.
At my NAPA store the manager tells me that large companies mine included uses Lucas Fuel treatment on there diesel service trucks costs more $$.
And the regular personal diesel owners uses Diesel Kleen less $$.

I feel the same as you on just how much lubricant is in the ULSD, we won`t know the out come for a few years with the one`s that don`t use anything.
On milage I`m seeing about .5-1.0 mpg increase using what I do,which is 13.9-14.5 mpg respectivly combo city and freeway.
The 13.9 was even with 2 regins on that tank full,and the gal used on the DIC was right on when using additive.
My last tank no additive one regin 13.4 and the gal. used was off by .9 of a gal. showed 30.9 on the DIC but it took 31.8,and I top out the tank everytime.
This has been the same result several times.

Also without the additive the engine has a more noticable clatter and that was the same with my last diesel even when using only Diesel Kleen,smoother and a little quiter.

Here is another chemist :eek:,I use Shell Rotella 15W40 but wanted a Syn blend, none was available where I live and having it shipped was very costly.
I read on a Canada Shell web site that mixing Dino rotella and rotella Syn to make a Syn blend was a answer for people like me and a answer to what I wanted.

I actually was able to talk to the shell enginner that wrote the artical,of course he said just run one or the other,dino if I`m in warmer climate and full syn when its cold.
Save the $$ and run dino and change the oil more often but if a syn blend is what I want to run and if it is hard to get then mix 50-50 Rotella 15-40 and Rotell syn 5-40 for a syn blend result. :eek:
I ran the blend mix 2 changes 10K then decided to take his advice and just run the dino oil save $$,also there was no problems.

D_R_C
11-10-2007, 11:20
Be VERY careful when mixing additives of different brands. They MUST be of the same type. I don't know what happens when you mix an emulsifier with a demulsifier, but it can't be good.

In reality we don`t know what kind of lubricant they used to replace sulfer,so using any additive product could cause a problem mixing with the ULSD fuel.

I did do some homework on what NOT to use in these regen machines.
Products containing-Solvents,Kerosene,Alcohol,which is in JUST about every additive out there.

Also transmission fluid,Marvel Mystery oil will cause damage to the emission-regen system.

Power Services Diesel Kleen contains a solvent which is not on the label, I confronted a enginner at P.S. on this he claimed the type of solvent they use will NOT harm the system,they have done extended testing :confused:

Lucas Fuel treatment contains NONE of these bad boys.

DmaxMaverick
11-10-2007, 11:38
I understand what you are saying, but that wasn't what I was referring to. Mixing additives of different water handling types could cause issues when water enters the picture (and it will). I'm only suggesting you be sure they are of the same type, preferably with the same water managing chemical additive.

Bhagwan
12-04-2007, 15:38
I use 1 quart of B99 bio per quarter tank of fuel. I always keep several quarts with be. I have a 34 Gal tank so I put 4 of these in if my tank is empty. That keeps the percentage in my tank at about 3% bio. I think this is the best additive for lubricity from what I've read; But B99 might not be available in your area.