PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Seven Injector Sets

MaxACL
11-07-2007, 18:01
I’m gonna break my own injector record

Installed set number seven (yep 7) set of injectors this week. The last set was 8 months old, about 60,000 miles. I looked at the fuel inlet and half were rusted and had cluncks of debris in it.

Now, I can’t help but wonder… where did the debris come from and how did moisture get past my two in line fuel filters? The OEM filter is LuberFiner and the add-on is Racor from Greg L. I fill almost exclusively at Flying J and when I can’t find Stanadyne Diesel Supplement I’ll get the Lucas stuff. Once in a while I’ll gas up at the Super Wal-Mart pumps close to my farm.

Anyone care to hazard a guess? I just can’t afford $3600 every year for new injectors.

By the way… Love the single piece Fly Wheel from South Bend Clutch.

Mike

Mark Rinker
11-07-2007, 18:09
Are you replacing the lines when you replace injectors? Since you have buku filtration in place, it only stands to reason that the debris is being produced after the filters, or by the filters themselves.

Something is unique about your situation. Either the tank(s) you are filling from, the filters you are using, or the lines carrying the fuel.

Personally, I'd be trading trucks. How many miles do you have on?

MaxACL
11-07-2007, 18:21
Mark,

Just turned 265k on the truck. On a more upbeat note... The smile is back. It runs like a new truck. And I guess I'll plan on selling it soon.

About the replaced parts, I don't know for sure. Could the fuel lines rust?

Mike

Mark Rinker
11-07-2007, 19:00
I have almost 240K on a 2002. Got its first new set at 180K. They replaced the lines at that time, said the flare nuts were pretty corroded and could potentially introduce contamination into the injector. Probably just during re-assembly, but don't know for sure.

I do know that when I got them back, both my 01 and 02 LB7s that got new injectors locally had grey silicone seal smeared over the top of each flare nut, sealing the indentation where water and road salt can pool and make its way down the threads. GM tech said it was 'a new requirement by GM when installing warranty injectors on LB7s'.

When I recently got a new warranty set on my '04 Kodiak out of state, they reused the old lines and didn't seal with the gray RTV. When I questioned, they just looked at me funny.

Here are new OEM sets for cheap, GM gets about $800 for a set :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-04-LB7-Duramax-Diesel-Fuel-Injector-Lines-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQihZ012QQitem Z220145688184QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Duramaster
11-07-2007, 21:26
Funny thing about that sealant.................... GM later then said that the sealant is no longer a requirement. No explanation, just no longer a requiement. Don't worry, I asked and they had no answer. As far as the lines that you have found on EBAY. They can keep them. The new ones are all STAINLESS! Even the nuts!!! They look like the new lines on the new DMAX engines. And BTW, I try to replace as many of them under warranty as I can get away with while still following the bulletin guidelines. ;)