PDA

View Full Version : no starts

chadc30
11-07-2007, 21:57
I have a 04.5 lly with 53k and have had three no starts in the last 25k miles. Change fuel filters every 8k. I use a little starting fluid and it starts and runs fine for a few thousand more miles. any recommendations? Any help would be much appreciated.

DieselMonk
11-08-2007, 04:09
first thing right off: Do not use any starting fluid on diesel engines with glowpug or heater system. If your unlucky you ruin the engine. Second thing, it does not have to be a dirty fuel filter. Maybe you have a little air leak in the fuel line...
When your no start condition happens, was the truck not being used for some time? You have to be some more specific when your no start condition occours.

Duramaster
11-08-2007, 07:11
Is this vehicle parked on an incline when the no start occurs?

chadc30
11-08-2007, 08:59
All three times vehicle engine was up to running temp, sat for 30min then would start and die. vehichle is completely stock, no starts did not occur on an incline. Truck had 1/2 tank and all three times I primed manually and fuel bled out immediately and still would not start.

First time I towed to dealer, they call me and say truck starts fine didn't need any thing. that will be $100 please. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do when this occurs? This is a great forum and I apreciate all the feedback.

Mark Rinker
11-08-2007, 09:15
Since you live in Cali, I'll assume that the truck wasn't in some subzero temperatures.

I am betting my bank that its a bad seal at your fuel filter. Get a new one, install it per directions with oiled o-rings and great care. If it happens again, inspect the filter housing and plastic water separator for damage or cracking/porosity.

Assuming you have good compression, and good cranking speed, no start = no fuel being injected. Sounds like when it gets in this condition, you are starting the engine on ether (BAD) and it then begins to draw diesel again.

Do you have any aftermarket parts under the hood controlling fuel rate/fuel rail pressure, boost, air filtration, etc?

If you have an air leak anywhere in your system, it can produce these results. Also, next time it happens, loosen your fuel cap and see if you get air rushing into the tank, indicating a bad cap that is causing vaccuum.