PDA

View Full Version : cranks to long before firing

gord finlayson
11-08-2007, 12:04
1995 6.5 nonturbo. since i have owned the truck it seems to take several cranks before firing. most start imediately. this is a big probelm in the winter as the batteries die. i have changed glow plugs and added a seperate switch to run the glow plugs longer than normal.

Hubert
11-09-2007, 05:57
Cranking speed is a big factor in starting. Weak batteries and poor health will hard start especially when cold. Fuel supply and quality, age of injectors, IP, timing chain, engine??? Clean air filter?

But glow plugs are most common issue. What brand did you use and how old are they.

gord finlayson
11-09-2007, 07:11
not sure of brand but I remember getting the higher watt version. if memory serves me correctly there was 90 in the number. it even takes the same amount of cranking in the summer and the batteries / cranking speed is good. my fear is that the engine is wore out. as it is no different hot or cold. even after warming it up it cranks too long

Hubert
11-09-2007, 08:26
Post age of components and fill out your signature. Still could be other things.

At ~160K miles original IP and timing chain my truck cranks up pretty quick with good glow plugs.