PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt charging line question

GST
11-10-2007, 05:47
I look at this forum for answers to lots my truck questions. I want to thank all of you for making this a great forum. I own a 2006 duramax 3500 single rear wheel with the camper/5th wheel/trailer package. When the key is off I still have 12 volt charging power at my camper plug and at my trailer plug, is this the way it should be? I thought that there was something that came with the package that disconnected the power when the key is off.

a5150nut
11-10-2007, 08:58
If you want to isolate the charging line so you don't drain everything when parked, use a equally rated relay tied into the ignition. Key off, relay off.

DmaxMaverick
11-10-2007, 10:44
Welcome to the Forums!

Yes, it's normal. As 5150 says, you'll have to isolate the circuit if you don't like it. Another option is to just pull the fuse when charging isn't needed, or disconnect the trailer plug when not traveling (don't forget to plug it back in). The fuse is in the underhood fuse box.

GST
11-10-2007, 17:52
I wonder, what was GM's thinking when they didn't put something in the 12volt line that would turn it off when the ket is off?

DmaxMaverick
11-10-2007, 18:30
I don't know. But, I've been using it like that for nearly 7 years with no problem. Much dry camping, too. I've thought of adding an isolator relay, but never got around to it. I just unplug when I don't need it to charge, and I don't have to have the key on when I need to run off the truck batteries (Optima Yellow Tops). Never been w/o power, and never w/o a start. Can't really complain.

speeddrive1
11-15-2007, 11:01
You could pull the fuse

Robyn
11-16-2007, 09:19
On all the rigs that I have owned that were used as RV with campers or trailers, I have added a charge guard unit to isolate the camper/trailer battery from the truck.

Easy to do, just put it in the line down stream from the fuse in the junction box.

Its automatic and you dont have to get in the truck to find that all the batteries are flat after you forgot to pull the fuse.

Best

Robyn