PDA

View Full Version : temperature gauge in panel not working all the time

2000k35006.5
11-10-2007, 08:56
Hi guys! Thanx for the help with the battery cable advice. Big help. Glad I paid the $20.00. Best money I've ever spent. I have another question. My temperature gauge is not working all the time. Sending unit appears fine. When I tap on the panel front, the gauge will come up. Can I replace the gauge, or do I have to replace the whole panel. I have tried the Chevy dealer and the only answer I get is "you have to bring it in". Thank you, in advance, for your time and advice.

2000 Silverado K3500 5 Speed 6.5 Crew Cab
Remote FSD otherwise stock

JCM5
11-10-2007, 11:21
I had a Volt meter gauge go bad and was told by the Dealer the entire panel is replaced.
This was about 5 years ago, I beleive we we looking around 400 for the unit plus installation. This was removal of my panel and sending it out to a repair shop, not a new unit I was told.

I would look at removal myself but this is a major undertaking. Before you do anything start looking at ground and feed wires to the panel itself, the flexible board on back may be cracked, I ended up running a seperate ground wire to the Volt gauge an it came back on line.

Robyn
11-10-2007, 12:27
The dash cluster on these is real easy to get out.
Remove the dash bezel carefully( it is held on by some litlte clips that snap into the dash itself.
Unhook the batteries
Now there are some screws that hold the instrument cluster into the dash pocket.

These are on either side of the cluster in a little flange.
Once these are removed the cluster will come right out in your lap.

The wheel will need to be all the way in the low position (tilt) and the shifter in low to give you the needed room.
Clean all the little contact strips on the cluster mylar and tweek them out and down (self explanatory when your there) then clean the plug connections in the dash pocket.
Raeassemble and give it a go.
Many issues are a result of dirty connections

Robyn

2000k35006.5
11-10-2007, 17:10
Thanx for the quick response. I will give these suggestions a shot. Thank you once again. What a great community.

2000 Silverado K3500 5sp SRW Crew Cab
remote FSD otherwise stock

Robyn
11-10-2007, 18:00
Thast what we do here :D:D:D

Hope this helps

Robyn