PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Keys

bbudus
01-13-2006, 22:37
I am looking for some after market torsion bar keys for my truck. I cranked on the stock ones and got the truck leveled out but I know they make an after market key that does not stress them out so bad. I had a site bookmarked but I lost them when I upgraded my firefox(and i knew i shouldn't have).

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Bbudus

JoeyD
01-14-2006, 04:04
The after market keys are for the newer trucks and they only allow you to crank the bars more. If your truck is level then your fine.

DmaxMaverick
01-14-2006, 11:56
What "stress" are you talking about?

The front of the torsion bar only know it got a twist. It doesn't know, or care, how it happened. All the keys do is allow a range of preload that can be applied to the torsion bar.

The aftermarket keys (actually, OEM keys for other models) only allow more twist on the bar. It will not relieve any stress. Many keys are sold as "lift kits", but this is a marketing ploy. While replacement keys may be desired under certain conditions, they should not be considered a stand alone lift option, beyond the OEM configuration.

If you turn up the keys to the max (or beyond, with replacement keys), you run into other issues. Suspension travel, shock limits, CV joints, steering geometry, ball joints, pitman arm, track etc. will all be far from spec.

As Joey D said, if you got it where you want it, leave it. If you are more concerned with suspension travel (jounce, or softness), then consider upgrading the torsion bars. There were snow plow option and 3500 bars for your model year, as well as aftermarket, that will beef it up. If you do that, prepare to loose some ride comfort.

bbudus
01-14-2006, 16:05
Thanks for the replies. Once I cranked them up my ride improved dramaticly. I was very happy about that. I just replaced the idler and pitman arms, so maybe I will look at a body lift kit instead, as I am not jazzed about replacing them anytime soon again. Any suggestions, I was looking for the cheap option, hence the key idea, I have heard many people say that cranking the keys has not hindered there front ends after years of use, but I don't have a lot of cash to be fixing things done half As_. My theory "do it right or don't do it at all".

Bbudus