PDA

View Full Version : I know this has probably been covered

Stlheadake
11-13-2007, 02:09
My dad has a 93 6.2 with only 240K on it. The engine still runs fine, however the truck is really wearing out. We have an affection (some might call it affliction) with this truck. So in short we are considering an engine swap.

It seems like there are a lot of relatively 'young' trucks available around here. Is it possible to drop the 6.2 in a half ton gasser? I suspect the electronics would be a big problem though. We are tossing the idea around. The truck runs unbelievably well. He has a new Duramax, but he gets such good mileage with this truck, he won't stop driving it.

Any ideas? :confused:

alteredspeed
11-13-2007, 05:48
I have never seen it done in a 93 but i know that GM in the early 80's mabey mid 80's put 6.2's in there half ton trucks from the factory. The 6.2 is a heavy engine compared to the little small block. It's like 520 lbs compared to 690 lbs so you may need to beef up the front suspension a little bit. I would like to see pics if you decide to due it.

Stlheadake
11-13-2007, 06:23
I've seen quite a few around here. The problem is finding a 3/4 ton truck in decent shape. They are usually worked to death, and pretty rough. There does seem to be a LOT of half ton trucks around. I know I would have to rework the front suspension, but I would think that wouldn't be too tough. Probably steal parts from the original truck.

I don't know about the onboard computers. Now days, the computer needs to know all kinds of stuff in addition to what the engine is doing. It's tough to install an aftermarket stereo system without causing problems.

The 93 has a computer, but I don't think it has all the complexities that the newer younger trucks now have. I don't even know if it is possible to make the 6.2 play nice in a newer truck.