PDA

View Full Version : Shock Question

JohnnyR
11-13-2007, 10:08
Have a 2005 GMC 2500HD crewcab with about 52,000 miles on Bilstein shocks. Been getting a thump from each front shock when turning. Pulled the Bilsteins off the front and put the GM shocks back and thump is gone. Noticed the rubber bushings on the stock shocks have a plastic insert/bushing that fits thru the hole in the upper A-arm whereas the bilsteins do not. Plastic insert apparently makes for a tighter fit. Can the the plastic insert be used on the Bilsteins because I certainly like the ride better with them on the truck. Anyone else run into this?

MikeC
11-18-2007, 15:07
Johnny,

I just installed my Bilsteins and used the factory bushings and backing plates with them. I even used the factory nut on the top as it's flange kept my wrench from dropping down.

Mike

jsmiracle
11-26-2007, 20:23
I installed Bilsteins and started noticing a "thump" coming from the front on both forward and reverse hard turns. I think I still have the factory bushings. I'll install them and see if the sound disappears...

Jim M.

JohnnyR
11-27-2007, 13:06
Letmeknow if it works for you. I haven't put the Bilsteins back yet with the GM hardware but I plan to do so.

DuramaxYooper
11-30-2007, 13:07
I would like to know just how COMMON this is...I plan on going to the Bilsteins as soon as I need to replace the OEMs and I dont want this issue.

Both my brothers run the Bilsteins on thier 01 and 02 HDs and have no issues, but I dont want to rely on that information if others of you have issues on the more recent model years.

If you have any THUMPS please speak up! Thanks

jsmiracle
12-01-2007, 12:29
Letmeknow if it works for you. I haven't put the Bilsteins back yet with the GM hardware but I plan to do so.

I will, but the garage is full with holiday stuff and it's a little cold outside. It may be a few weeks before I get it done.

Jim M.

JohnnyR
12-04-2007, 08:51
Put the Bilsteins back last night w/the factory bushings. No thumps.

JohnC
12-04-2007, 12:10
Any idea what the difference is between the two?

JohnnyR
12-04-2007, 15:00
The stock shocks have a plastic insert that protrudes from the upper rubber bushing and fits over the shock shaft and fits thru the hole in the upper control arm. The plastic bushing fits into the lower rubber bushing and is the diameter of the hole in the control arm. So it's a better/tighter fit than just squeezing the rubber bushings into the hole as one tightens the nut on top. Now I pulled these shocks off my 2003 2500HD and put them on my 2005 model so I don't know if Bilstein is providing a better system on the new ones.