PDA

View Full Version : Rear seat shoulder belt

raunch
11-14-2007, 13:27
Well, I gave up on the Landcruiser conversion and bought an '83 Suburban. Very happy with the decision. Anyway, one of the frist things I'd like to take care of is adding a shoulder belt to the middle seat of the truck. Only has lap belts. Wondering about a source for the belts or any other useful info.
Thanks.

bl78ljb
11-14-2007, 14:41
These cannot be purchased aftermarket (I have looked for along time) and your best bet would be to find a suburban than has them in a bone yard and take them off. First, however, you should make sure that your truck has the necessary weld nuts on the base behind the rear door and up just over shoulder height on the same pillar (c-pillar) if not you will have to add these as well and may be easier to cut them out of the donor and weld them into yours. An aftermarket option would be to use a 4 or 5 point racing harness with a floor mount, though I don't believe these are DOT approved for street use though I haven't checked on that in a while.

JeepSJ
11-15-2007, 12:19
There are a couple suppliers for seatbelts. I will post links to their websites when I get home tonight.

bl78ljb
11-15-2007, 12:38
Do they supply all the hardware needed such as the adjusters bolts and weld nuts?? I was thinking about the whole shebang as I have not come across an aftermarket supplier that would sell all of the necessary parts. However, if you know someone that supplies OEM replacement seat belts I would be be interested in that link as well.

JeepSJ
11-15-2007, 21:05
Try these places -

http://www.gotbelts.com/ (they also have all mounting hardware)

http://www.wescoperformance.com/seat-belts-sitemap.html

raunch
11-16-2007, 06:57
Thanks for the info

Robyn
11-16-2007, 09:05
The units from the 92 and later Burbs can be retro fitted with a little work.
The big issue as has been mentioned is the mount in the pillar to bolt the top unit to.

This can be done in a couple ways but both require some drilling and or welding.

Adapt, adpat, adapt, this is the buzz word.

A suitable mount could be made from a piece of 3/8 inch falt bar cut to fit on the post and then drilled and tapped to allow the belt mount to bolt up. This would then be welded to the post and then the plastic moulding cut and fit around the new mounting point.

Any floor mounted devices must be set in the same relative plane as they were in the original chassis to allow the inertia devices to work properly.

The mainthing is to be sure the dementions from the floor to the mount and or the distance from the seat cushion are maintained so the belt fits properly.

Good luck

Robyn

bl78ljb
11-16-2007, 10:57
If he is looking to add the belts to the middle seat he could use parts from a late 80's Suburban as the body panels are the same and would require less fabrication, ie he could cut out a larger piece of the panel and weld that back instead of trying to get the nut in the right spot. Also, I think (though I cannot recall for 100% sure) that the 91 /92 models had the 3rd seat shoulder harness.

raunch
01-27-2009, 08:42
Finally rounded up some shoulder belts for the second seat. Last I night I began removing the trim to prep the pillars for welding in a bracket. I was going to have the shop do it while they serviced the tranny. Anyway, I pulled the trim off and there was a hole already there. So I installed both shoulder belts last night, and just in time too. My oldest is just moving into a booster seat, so shoulder belts are a must.

I have the shoulder belts for the third seat too, but I am not so lucky with those mounts. There will be some fabrication to get those in. The belt mechanism mounts on the wall next to the third seat and will require some serious backing. I'm not sure exactly where they mount. Does anyone have some pictures or measurements?
Thanks.