PDA

View Full Version : BioDiesel usage with DPF on the LMM

RaiderCoach
11-14-2007, 14:53
I'm not sure how the computer knows when to regenerate the DPF, if it's on a clock of sorts or if it senses flow and determines that it is becoming clogged and needs to regenerate. If the later is true, does anybody have any experience running B20 - B100 in this truck? I ran B100 in my '03 Duramax and the soot that the engine produced seemed to be conciderably less. This would lead me to believe that the DPF would regenerate less frequently and MPG would improve. Just wondering if anybody out there has some experience with this...

More Power
11-14-2007, 15:04
Pressure differential across the DPF is one criteria for a regen. There are others.... GM approves of B5, but not any higher percentage. Make sure any bio you use is ASTM certifed.

Dodge approves of up to B20, but in general, manufacturers are reluctant to approve higher percentages because of a lack of standards and a fear of the unknown, not necessarily because they don't like bio. New standards and practices are under development that should help to ease the reluctance... :)

Jim

Dakster
11-14-2007, 18:11
I've run ASTM spec B99 in my LMM for the past 2k miles or so. To be honest the MPG difference is negligable. It may regen less, but there are less BTU's in BIO so you get less MPG's anyways. Seems to work out in the wash. Only difference I notice is more of an amonia/chlorine type smell coming from the exhaust. I still get the smell with regular D2, but it seems a little more pronounced with Bio... Since the truck regens based upon fuel burned and miles driven the cleaner aspect of bio isn't truly utilized in the LMM.

I too notice alot less smoke from the Jetta TDI. I no longer have to constantly wash the soot off the trunklid. There was some research done on Bio and a DPF, I can't remember the link right now. They used a Dodge motor and retro fitted a DOC and DPF to it. The bottom line was that Bio was better for the setup in that it produced less soot and the higher NOx helped the DOC work better and at a lower temp. The trick would be to calibrate the ECM to realize it was using BioD unstead of D2. I guess EFIlive could help with this, but more testing would need to be done.

I am not using Bio to save money - commercial bio is about as expensive as D2. I like the idea of not using foriegn oil. Until my truck tells me it doesn't like it, I'll run it. BTW, I run Stanadyne performance formula to bring back the power loss - I would say prevent clouding/gelling but in South Florida that really isn't a concern.

I hope I don't have to have an expensive dealership visit to convince me otherwise.

GARTHGMC
11-22-2007, 08:47
YES YES
what the last poster said