PDA

View Full Version : air in return lines...a real doosie here

trdwlr
11-15-2007, 01:44
what I have here is 95 2500 x-tended cab S version style truck....The engine has been
thruogh a complete rebuild here,,way too much money involved and really has not run right since. went back to rebuilder and ask questions ..did a lot of testing and all things turned up good...he still insists he is confident that the rebuild is good..the one issue at this point is that there is air in the return lines that I can see through clear line..kinda different like it is not there all the time and comes and goes intermently..the engine will be idling and will shoot squirts of air through and then none at all for awhile..the one thing I did noticed was that if I pull off a return line that air comes through the lines that you can hear it gurgle so hard that all the fuel will be cleaned out of the lines..major vacum going on,you can even
put your finger over hose and feel it .so is this normal? checked the fuel cap and seems to be venting...if there is a small leak in the return lines going to the tank would this vacum be so violent? where is tps located on this truck also? My understanding that on a 95 you can put the truck in gear and turn on the key and the lift pimp will work ..I tried this
and and opened up the water-bleed off line and nothing happened but you can turn off the engine after a trip and hear the pump work to build up pressure...the truck starts up
here and just blows out smoke really bad until it warms up..does not run down the road
at 100 percent either,always seems like there is a miss there ..loading up I think
talked to the rebuilder but he has not been the most respondsive on answering
questions and he wants me to bring vechile to him but if it is not his fault I will have to pay
and that might end up being expensive..plus there is nine to ten hour drive away..
help!!!!!!!!!

Warren96
11-15-2007, 14:28
Air in the fuel system can be tough to find, even a little bit will make your truck run ''different''. There is a great post by one of the moderators on this site titled''Air in the fuel system,a tutorial'' written by john8662 that has helped me find the last air leak that made my 6.5TD run poor.The post can be found in the 6.2 diesel column on the forums opening page. By the way none of my air leaks came from anything under the hood! Good luck in your search, and keep us posted.

trdwlr
11-17-2007, 19:24
warren,,, thanks for the help in this area...but nothing really came uo significant in this area
for me on this specific problem. We are going to try and also put on clear line from where the return lines go back to the tank at back of engine,, we are thinkin that maybe one of the injectors are sucking the fuel down into the pistions by not seating itself completly. also took the filler cap and am going to test if that will make a difference