PDA

View Full Version : Biggest and best battery for a SUB ????

waynep
11-16-2007, 07:50
Hello All:

Two questions;

1. What is the largest battery that the stock tray can accomodate, 97 Suburban, dual battery, cold cranking etc and brand/model

2. Best manufacturer, reasonable price, warranty, etc

Thank you

More Power
11-16-2007, 11:30
Here in Montana, I've had supremely excellent results from the maintenance-free ACDelco batteries. The batteries in my 2001 GMC are original, and appear to crank the engine as well as they did seven years ago. They've never leaked, and the battery trays show no sign of corrosion.

Other owners, who live in hotter states, like the SW, don't have as good a success with ACD. Some (especially the leakers), I feel were caused by overtightening the lugs on the batteries.

The Red & Yellow Optima batteries have an excellent reputation no matter where the truck resides. The only downside here is the cost. They are about twice the cost of ACD.

Jim

bl78ljb
11-16-2007, 19:45
It depends on what you mean by "big." Are you looking for the most CCA to get the truck turned over in the cold, or are you looking for the most reserve capacity to run a winch or off road lights or stereo equipment?? If it is RC will this be with the truck running or off. All of these factor into battery choice. Personally here in Maine where we can have very cold (-20F not uncommon in the winter) weather when I replace my batteries I use the Optima red top and have not had any trouble with cranking in the winter even if the vehicle sits for a while. I find that for the CCA rating of the Optima it seems to turn the engine over faster than similarly rated batteries. I have had regular sealed batteries freeze on me and no matter how "big" it is when all the acid leaks out it doesn't work very well anymore.

DA BIG ONE
11-17-2007, 05:14
I like the MAXX-1N 34/78 dual terminals, 1000a, 875cca, the extra terminals are great for attaching those extra circuits like driving lights, winch, compressor or whatever..............

AndyL
11-17-2007, 17:06
I like the MAXX-1N 34/78 dual terminals, 1000a, 875cca, the extra terminals are great for attaching those extra circuits like driving lights, winch, compressor or whatever..............

Got a pair of these myself, no problems.

damork
11-20-2007, 15:22
Consumer Reports usually does an annual battery story and if I recall the better ones were the WalMart MAXX mentioned here, Exide, NAPA, & Duralast from Autozone. All are made by either Johnson Controls, Exide, or East Penn. I know some who use Cat batteries and have had good success with them - they come from East Penn.

I ended up running a set of Sears SUV Diehards (northern version) and they were doing fine at 4 years, after two failed AC Delcos. It seems the AC Delco passenger side Pos post would crack around the terminal. This was where the starter cable and the cable from the other battery joined. The Delco warranty center commented they see a few of them coming in just like mine. Never had a problem after switching. I think they needed a more robust support material or just more of what they have for the threaded terminal.

bl78ljb
11-20-2007, 20:24
Don't know if I can do this or not, but here is the table from the latest CR review in order of score. Hopefully this is readable when posted.

Group 34/78 & 78
Brand and model Price score Life RC CCA Claimed CCA
DieHard Platinum 50090 180 91 +++ +++ +++ 880
Optima RedTop SC34U 150 76 +++ + +++ 800
Deka INTIMIDATOR 9A78DT 150 75 ++ +++ +++ 750
*DieHard SUV, 100 72 ++ +++ + 725
Truck and Van 39990 (South
*NAPA Select 8434/78 86 67 ++ + ++ 800
*AutoCraft TITANIUM 34/78-4 80 66 ++ ++ + 800
DieHard SUV, 100 66 ++ ++ ++ 875
Truck and Van 39890 (North)
Orbital Exide Select 145 66 + + +++ 770
ORB78DT-84
Interstate 102 63 ++ + + 800
MEGA-TRON PLUS MTP-78DT
Duralast Gold 34DT-DLG 80 63 ++ ++ + 800
EverStart MAXX-78N (North) 70 60 + ++ + 770
EverStart MAXX-78S (South) 70 59 ++ + - 650
Interstate 89 52 + + + 725
MEGA-TRON II MT-78DT
* CR Best Buy

Scooby
11-24-2007, 14:10
I used to really like the Delco's, but over the past 5 years or so, they all seem to start leaking at some point. "Supposedly" the leak problem has been corrected, (according to a battery supplier that I deal with at my work), but the little stunt Delco AKA Delphi, pulled a few years ago made it difficult to exchange the "defective" batteries with anyone but a DEALER. I have since switched to a few other brands at work, and OPTIMA for my vehicles. THe OPTIMA battery seems to do well in the Florida heat. I used to replace cheaper batteries (not the Delco's) about every 3 years. I have had an Optima in my van for 4 years now, and it withstands the drain of my inverter better than any other battery. I recently put one (couldnt afford 2 at a time !!) in my 6.5 . It comes to life much quicker now.