PDA

View Full Version : 1998 6.5TD temperature?

joe bleaux
11-16-2007, 11:57
Hi,

Brand-new guy here just about to get a 1998 3/4 ton, turbo-charged pickup.
This truck has 220k miles on it and that scares me a bit.

The owner says that the temperature is around 220 degrees F. and sometimes as much as 250. That really scares me.

Any comments? I really need them asap.

Also, it has an L-80? transmission? Any good?

What are the things to look for on this truck?

Thank you very much.

Joe

joe bleaux
11-16-2007, 12:16
Correction: I have just been informed that the temperature is around 205 and not 220. Sorry for the earlier misinformation.

Joe

HammerWerf
11-16-2007, 13:23
Joe,

Welcome to TheDieselPage.

The 205F temperature on the dash guage is not that bad. Water Temp guage in GM's are not spot on accurate. They will allow you track changes. Your engine came stock with 195's F. So, 205 indicated is not that far away. If you get the truck, check between the radiator and the other heat exchangers. There are only 6-10 bolts holding the upper radiator shroud in place. Remove these, and the upper rad clamps, and the rad will lean back toward the fan easily. See how much debris is in there. Flush it out with water. Make sure you flush the fins of all the heat exchangers to clean them up. Reassemble, then drive. Also, is the overheating all year, or just a summer time activity?

The trans you have, 4L80E is a very good tranny. Decendent of the Turbo Hydramatic 400 (TH-400)

Others may chime in.

HammerWerf

joe bleaux
11-16-2007, 19:12
Thanks, HammerWerf.

Thank you for the reply and information. I will do as you suggest if I get it. I also have a non-turbo Chevy van with the 6.2 and am curious as to the power difference/feeling of it and the pickup.

Do you think the mileage is too high on this?

How much does a chip cost? I have a programmer for all sorts of chips/eproms. I can also patch in code, too.

Anything to watch out for in this truck before I sign the dotted line?

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

Welcome to TheDieselPage.

The 205F temperature on the dash guage is not that bad. Water Temp guage in GM's are not spot on accurate. They will allow you track changes. Your engine came stock with 195's F. So, 205 indicated is not that far away. If you get the truck, check between the radiator and the other heat exchangers. There are only 6-10 bolts holding the upper radiator shroud in place. Remove these, and the upper rad clamps, and the rad will lean back toward the fan easily. See how much debris is in there. Flush it out with water. Make sure you flush the fins of all the heat exchangers to clean them up. Reassemble, then drive. Also, is the overheating all year, or just a summer time activity?

The trans you have, 4L80E is a very good tranny. Decendent of the Turbo Hydramatic 400 (TH-400)

Others may chime in.

HammerWerf

a5150nut
11-16-2007, 19:47
Now chip to change in the 98. 94 & 95 were the years of the chip.

joe bleaux
11-17-2007, 08:02
Okay, a5150nut.

I have a lot to learn if I get this pickup. I guess the first thing I will want to know is how to increase power in order of easiest first.

Thanks for the info. about no chip in the '98

Joe

Now chip to change in the 98. 94 & 95 were the years of the chip.

a5150nut
11-17-2007, 08:36
Okay, a5150nut.

I have a lot to learn if I get this pickup. I guess the first thing I will want to know is how to increase power in order of easiest first.

Thanks for the info. about no chip in the '98

Joe

First is to help it breath, in and out. Gagaes, then play with the boost and fuel. Heath and Kennedy have computer options for these trucks. You might pay a little more up front, but you will have a lot less trouble and worries later.

joe bleaux
11-17-2007, 20:01
Okay, a5150nut.

Got the truck and love it so far. I don't know what common problems to look for or anything about 'fuel and boost' that you mentioned. Fuel and boost really doesn't tell me anything specific.

Are there other forums that are good and informative, such as this one is? The more sources for information is what I really need now.

Thanks

Joe

First is to help it breath, in and out. Gagaes, then play with the boost and fuel. Heath and Kennedy have computer options for these trucks. You might pay a little more up front, but you will have a lot less trouble and worries later.

a5150nut
11-17-2007, 22:15
Boost and fuel can be controlled with the computer. I talked to Heath about his setup and it sounded good. The computer controls how much boost and when it is cut back. It also helps regulate the fuel.

Breathing is in the form of open smooth flowing larger exhaust. And with a different air cleaner system. Also removing the snorkel in the fender to let in more air. Some have even opened up around the right turn signal to let in more air.

Keep reading these forums and you will find all kinds of tricks and tweaks.

joe bleaux
11-18-2007, 09:03
a5150nut,

Thanks.

I know that breathing is more air in/out but about not the boost and fuel.

I will keep reading.

Joe

Boost and fuel can be controlled with the computer. I talked to Heath about his setup and it sounded good. The computer controls how much boost and when it is cut back. It also helps regulate the fuel.

Breathing is in the form of open smooth flowing larger exhaust. And with a different air cleaner system. Also removing the snorkel in the fender to let in more air. Some have even opened up around the right turn signal to let in more air.

Keep reading these forums and you will find all kinds of tricks and tweaks.