PDA

View Full Version : Pinging Noise, Rough Acceleration & Rough Idle

rcgdiesel
11-16-2007, 13:14
First time poster. I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel. Original owner - currently has 38K miles. I have been experiencing a loud "pinging" noise during acceleration. Someone had a similar post and "dieselfume" posted that this might be an initial firing noise and that it is normal. I don't think that could be my issue since I also have a rough idle and rough engine during acceleration. I have been to the dealer twice. First time they found an error code related to the drive train and replaced the a faulty electronic module of some type. Still had issue. Went back and allowed them to perform 30K mile service - ouch! Still having the issue. Any ideas. I love my truck - pull G-neck trailer and boat. Just want my old truck performance back.

rcgdiesel
11-16-2007, 13:33
I just read another thread. They mentioned a "pulsating" issue. It sounded like my "rough" idle/acceleration issue.

DmaxMaverick
11-16-2007, 13:59
Welcome to the Forums!

Have a look at THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=29907). Could be similar.

Duramaster
11-17-2007, 17:45
Have you pulled the fuel filter off and dumped it out into a clean pan? Might have water in it?

rcgdiesel
11-19-2007, 18:31
I just completed the 30K service that included a new fuel filter. Would that not have accomplished the same thing as dumping the fuel filter? I have had this same issue before and after the 30K service. Thanks for the reply.

Mark Rinker
11-19-2007, 20:28
Any white smoke at idle, or heavy fuel smell from the exhaust?
Checked for intake or exhaust obstructions?
Collapsed air filter?
What is your mileage doing?

rcgdiesel
11-20-2007, 13:05
Any white smoke at idle, or heavy fuel smell from the exhaust?
No to both. Rough idle is intermitent. Oil pressure and temp are normal.

Checked for intake or exhaust obstructions?
Will check. Assume fine since I just returned from 30K service.

Collapsed air filter?
Again, just completed service. Will check to see if something happeneded. This issue was occurring before and after the 30K service which included a new air and fuel filter.

What is your mileage doing?
Seems normal. I have always been in the 17-18 range in the city. Yes, I baby the truck.

Just read a recent post for "pulsating" at idle and it stated the needed fix was a fuel pressure regulator. Any chance the rough idle/pulsating could be that? Still doesn't explain the "pinging"/"knocking" unless that is the "new" oil issue stated in many posts I have read this week. Just seems strange that both of these issues, pulsating and pinging, started at the same time.

Thanks for the replies.

05 K2500HD Crew/LLY ~17mpg All stock

Pull G-Neck Sundowner Showman 2 Horse Trailer 5%

rcgdiesel
12-28-2007, 09:56
Just picked up truck from dealer. Third visit was the charm. Problem was a failed injector #7. The dealer was able to find a "hard" failure this trip. Pinging, surging, rough idle are all gone.

#1) 05 K2500HD Crew/Reg LLY - 40K miles. ~17mpg