PDA

View Full Version : Wipers Rattle???

GMC Hauler
01-14-2006, 15:49
Anyone else here have they're wipers rattle when they move? The wipers move fine, but they make a rattling noise when they move. I'd like some experience here before I throw money into it.

Dihrdbowti
01-14-2006, 17:34
Mine make kind of screeching sound and skip across the window until there is enough water on it. I have replaced the blades and they last about a month or so before they start again. I read somewhere that if you clean the blades with rubbing alcohol it helps to reduce the screech.

a5150nut
01-14-2006, 18:03
Mine was skipping on the windshield. This time I replaced the entire blade, suport & wiper, not the arm. Works good now.

DmaxMaverick
01-14-2006, 18:43
Originally posted by Dihrdbowti:
Mine make kind of screeching sound and skip across the window until there is enough water on it. I have replaced the blades and they last about a month or so before they start again. I read somewhere that if you clean the blades with rubbing alcohol it helps to reduce the screech. Buff the glass with polish (not glass cleaner). The best stuff I've seen was a powder used with water. I don't know what the brand name is, and haven't seen it in many years, but it was good stuff. I've heard of toothpaste (paste, not gel) giving similar results.

Barry Nave
01-15-2006, 00:37
I'v always used Rain-X. The draw back is the first wipe seems to smear alittle.
Night time driving in the rain though is a blast,don't even use wipers at speeds.
Also use it on head lights,fog lights.
Note on head lights; Does that stuff work(what ever they call it) that is put on the lens to clear the hase and make it clearer.
Can't seem to fine anything to make it clearer other than buying new.
Had to replace the parking lamp on driver side(Deer) and ended up buying one for pass. side.
What a difference one new lamp looked like compaired to the old one.

gmenor
01-15-2006, 05:29
For the head lights and turn signals I used rubbing compound and buffed them out. Looks brand new.

Barry Nave
01-15-2006, 05:39
Thats what I have been doing. Not sure about new though,might be as good as it gets.
More rubbing might be in order.

B Lake
01-17-2006, 14:15
My wipers were on backwards and rattled. Look at the back side of the arm, the side you see when sitting in the seats. There is a D or P stamped there. D for driver's side P for passenger.

When on correctly, the wipers sit square to the glass. They don't chatter nearly as badly.

I'm not pulling your leg about this. It's worth a look.

GMC Hauler
02-05-2006, 05:39
Originally posted by B Lake:
My wipers were on backwards and rattled. Look at the back side of the arm, the side you see when sitting in the seats. There is a D or P stamped there. D for driver's side P for passenger.

When on correctly, the wipers sit square to the glass. They don't chatter nearly as badly.

I'm not pulling your leg about this. It's worth a look. I finally checked... They are on the correct side.

I took the arm just above the point where it conects into the cowl and moved it back and forth. At the tip of the wiper arm, it moved 1.5 to 2 inches up and down the winshield. There is definitely play in the system, but I don't know how much is acceptable. Could someone with good wipers do the same test and see how much the wiper moves?